Ninth Reading Response (Fusions)

Caroline and Rachel will spark this week’s discussion.

1. Caroline Chung
    April 11th, 2010 at 15:38 | #1

*SPARK*

The “Eating in Cuban” reading by Lisa Maya Knauer poses interesting questions regarding the sociocultural roles of ethnic food (especially Cuban) restaurants, and how those roles present a sort of “imaginary” of the ethnic community through the offering of “authentic” and “exotic” dishes. For example, Knauer identifies the process of “cosmopolitanization” in New York as a valorizing function for many ethnic communities, as “outsiders” seek to culture themselves in the metropolis by engaging their tastes in the exotic or authentic foods available in New York. What personal, social, culture, or economic, if any, value do you attach to the variety of foods and in result, the diversity of cultures you encounter in New York? Does approaching these ethnic dishes from the “outside” make us tourists in the very city we live in?

Perez and Audant’s “Livin’ La Vida Sabrosa” chapter in Gastropolis similarly presents the Latino food ethnoscape in relation to the trend by which these establishments present (or market) themselves as particularly full of “sabor.” Undoubtedly, such a word does a good job at describing ethnic (yet diverse) areas like Jackson Heights in Queens; as an inhabitant of a similarly Latino neighborhood (Ridgewood,) the flavors and smells described by Perez and Audant are very familiar (the smell of caramelizing chicken fat and the bland of herbs that accompany it are constant reminders of the very “sabor” that Latino food is associated with so strongly.) In what ways does the term “sabor” represent the Latino food palate? Are there any other words that apply in this way to other representations of ethnicity in food? For example, the words “spice” or “spicy” make me think of Indian food (and I think these associations depend strongly on where on lives.) Knauer’s point that act as a performance place where culture is spectated as it is preserved and transmitted to the audience within a host or native culture, resonates with the idea that the word “sabor” is deeply representative of the foods that work to help a culture present itself in a certain manner (like when Latino restaurants often use the word “sabor” in their names, ex: Sabrosura)

“Cooking Up Heritage in Harlem” by Damian M. Mosley also observes the role of ethnic food, in this case, what is commonly referred to as soul food in terms of the more overlooked historical aspects of Harlem and its migrant populations over the years. While it is evident that Harlem was mostly a black neighborhood. other immigrant groups were indeed present, often making their impressions on the rest of the community revolve around food, again an example of cultural and ethnic identity being perceived via the food businesses established as different immigrant groups moved into a neighborhood. More specifically, this reading delves into the establishment of soul food restaurants in the financially difficult situations many southern black immigrants faced. Mosley identifies the nuancy of the black Harlem population as one parlaying factor in the late blossoming of black proprietorship in the Harlem food business community. Perceived by outsiders as one homogeneous black population, the ethnoscape in Harlem was divided within itself due to such conflicting and misconstrued views. Do you agree or disagree that this view has changed, and how such a perception of black culture affects how soul food is marketed and understood?

2. April 12th, 2010 at 00:05 | #2

SPARK

“Eating in Cuban” looks at three different Cuban restaurants and the way they incorporate the food, the culture, and the heritage of Cuba in their design (their menu, their decor, their ambiance, etc.). Upon reading this, I realized I’ve never had Cuban food. Have you ever eaten Cuban food? What did you think of it?

It was interesting to note the differences between the three restaurants: Victor’s Cafe 52, La Esquina Habanera, and Patria. Even though I like to try ethnic foods, I’ve never consciously thought about all the different kinds of restaurants there are out there, but I’m sure we’ve all noticed them. There are little holes in the walls with staff that barely speaks English, and posh, upscale places that I can’t even afford, and everything in between. Which one of the three restaurants from the reading would you most like to visit and why? To me, Victor’s Cafe 52 sounds the best. I think it would be comfortable to visit because the menu describes all the dishes, but it doesn’t seem too Americanized that it loses its authenticity.

“Livin’ la Vida Sabrosa” discusses the concept of “sabor” (taste or flavor) and “saborear” (to savor) and how Hispanic restaurants in America use it to advertise themselves. The part of this chapter that stood out most to me was the section about naming restaurants. I’ve actually thought about this before, in relation to my favourite Mexican restaurant in Montgomery Ixtapa. I wanted to know what the word Ixtapa meant. Turns out, according to Wikipedia, Ixtapa is a tourist resort in Mexico. Do you think it matters what the name of a restaurant means or does it simply serve to conjure up an association or image?

Restaurants use a lot of different elements to create an ambiance, advertise their menu, and draw in customers. Restaurants use names, colors, flags, coats of arms, maps, logos, mascots, neon signs, awnings, etc. Do you think the use of national symbols adds to the authenticity of a restaurant? What attracts you to a restaurant? Would you be more likely to visit an elaborately-decorated restaurant or a more subdued one?

“Cooking Up Heritage in Harlem” examines the role of soul food in the history, development, and culture of Harlem. The author states that importance of soul food is overplayed today, and that other immigrant groups and their contributions to Harlem are overlooked. Caribbean, West African, and Hispanic foods and culture are just as much a part of the neighbourhood as soul food and southern migrants. When you think of Harlem what kind of food comes to your mind first? I’ve never been to Harlem, so I don’t know. What does soul food mean to you? What kind of dishes do you think of? In Alabama, I grew up eating a lot of dishes that are considered soul food like collard greens and corn bread because they’re Southern. Do you associate soul food with the South or does it mean something different to you?

3. ilana dadras
    April 12th, 2010 at 12:40 | #3

My family really likes Cuban food so I definitely enjoyed the “Eating in Cuban” reading. I love Cuban bread, yellow rice with black beans, and plantains. I personally prefer Mexican cuisine, but can appreciate the similarities in flavor and in the dishes in general when I eat Cuban. In regards to Caroline’s comments on how many people are attracted to restaurants because they are deemed “exotic” or seem “authentic”, I think that is both a positive and true thing. Many cuisines are becoming Americanized, losing their original flavors in order to seem more appealing to New Yorkers. IF the restaurants are actually maintaining their authenticity while at the same time gaining popularity, then I think that is the best thing. One of the coolest things about living in New York is finding the authentic eateries and being a tourist in your own backyard. There are so many different cultures and immigrant groups opening businesses in this city that it is completely normal to try a new type of food every month.

In “Livin’ La Vida Samrosa”, I too found the part about naming restaurants interesting. In response to Rachel, I think yes- the name of an establishment certainly matters and serves to conjure up an image. What a restaurant is called is important in attracting new customers and targeting a specific clientele. For example, Bob’s Diner is not looking for the same crowd as Balthazar, who is not looking for the same crowd as Friday’s, who is not looking for the same crowd as Chinese Buffet, (etc…etc). The name of an eatery, bar, club, or any other type of social gathering spot should reflect what people should expect once inside. In addition, the way the establishment is decorated and furnished is also very important. I don’t think flags or blatantly obvious national symbols are necessary, but if a place is really authentic it will probably look different than a place run by people of a different culture. Personally, where I would prefer to go would totally depend on the day and my mood. I would probably first be attracted to a restaurant with simple, chic decor- but I would go to either extreme (posh, or hole-in-the-wall) if the food was supposed to be good 😉

4. Dylan Moloney
    April 12th, 2010 at 14:56 | #4

I enjoyed the “Eating in Cuban” reading more than the other two. In response to Rachel’s question, I’ve never had Cuban food, either, but reading this excerpt really made me want to find a Cuban restaurant to sample their food. If I were going to one of the three Cuban restaurants described, I, too, would choose Victor’s Café 52. I’ve been to a lot of non-American restaurants, and I sometimes find it hard to order because I’m not always sure what is on the menu, which is especially difficult because I’m so picky and am not brave enough to just pick something and hope I like it. So I think going to Vic’s 52 wouldn’t be so bad since they describe the dishes on their menu.

To Rachel’s question on the “Livin’ la Vida Sabrosa” chapter, actually don’t think it matters what the name of a restaurant means. I think it does just conjure up an association or image that the restaurant wants the customer to associate them with. Take for instance Rachel’s example of her favorite Mexican restaurant, Ixtapa. Rachel didn’t know what Ixtapa meant, but it was still her favorite restaurant. For all she knew, Ixtapa could have meant donkey piss, but that didn’t matter. She just saw the word Ixtapa, and associated the Spanish word with the restaurant.

Also, I don’t think simply having a national symbol such as a flag on the outside of a restaurant adds to its authenticity. A bunch of white guys can own a Mexican restaurant and put a Mexican flag on the awning, but that won’t make it any more authentic. For me, coats of arms and neon signs don’t necessarily attract me to a restaurant. One thing that does attract me to a restaurant a lot is a vintage look. Neon signs and awnings are not vintage at all, they are quite the opposite. A brick front, for example, gives a restaurant a vintage look, an to me, it creates the idea that this restaurant has been around for a while, and therefore they know what they’re doing, so I’ll eat there.

5. Michal Medows
    April 12th, 2010 at 17:58 | #5

The juxtaposition of the three restaurants in “Eating in Cuban” showed the reader that there is no such thing as a “Cuban restaurant.” Rather, though each locale serves Cuban food, the food experience is vastly different. I have never eaten Cuban food, but this article made me question the influence of previous eating experiences. For instance, my family and I visited an Indian restaurant when I was little; the spices were so strong they hurt my stomach, so I never went back. But as the article stresses, it is possible to have similar spices but completely different eating experiences. Therefore, despite my negative experience with Indian spices in the past, maybe I’ll locate a restaurant which uses less of those spices, while invoking the same authenticity. Since the dining experiences of Victor’s Cafe 52, La Esquina Habanera, and Patria vary significantly, it would be interesting to try all three restaurants, and see what impression I’m left with of Cuban food in general, instead of basing my opinion of Cuban food on one food stop, which would effectively be a restaurant review. I also found the reference to “staging” one’s dining experience an apt metaphor.

I love exploring various ethnic restaurants, especially if they are considered authentic by local residents (which is usually evident based on the restaurant clientele), but if possible, I feel more comfortable when I can bring a friend along who is familiar with that language and culture, so she can translate if I had trouble understanding the menu or the waiter.

When I think of “soul food,” I generally equate it with Southern food, and that food is generally fried. (So even though Rachel’s never been to Harlem, she probably has more of a mastery over authentic soul food than those of us do who have visited and eaten there.) I’ve usually found soul food to be stereotyped as unhealthy, so it would be interesting to see how this interpretation has managed to fit into the recent health-food craze: Does this mean interest in soul food would decline, or possibly remain stable, since soul food caters to a different clientele than the health-food craze?

6. Alex
    April 12th, 2010 at 18:05 | #6

I’m not necessarily a picky eater, so I was a bit surprised upon reading Rachel’s question and realizing I’ve also never had Cuban food. Considering where I’m from maybe I shouldn’t be too surprised (Taco Bell is about as “ethnic” as we get back home) but I definitely have to do a better job of taking advantage of where I am now and trying all new foods. This is also a good segway into Caroline’s question about our culinary experiences, or lack thereof, making us tourists. I guess for me I’m still kind of a tourist, but even for the most hardened new yorker there is just so much diversity provided by this city that it would take a few lifetimes to get a complete understanding of the substance within each culture here. It’s also important to note the difference between ethnic foods here and their place of origin. For instance, maybe you “love Chinese food” but if all you get is sesame chicken, you don’t really have any experience with Chinese. Living in this city really does allow us to have a better understanding of so many cultures, and just taking advantage of that privilege puts you a little above being a tourist, I think. After all, you’re not here to eat at ESPNzone every day.

I also think applying certain terms to different foods is really inevitable, such as linking “spicy” with Indian food (which I totally do, too). Unfortunately, greasy and overcooked are the most common american cuisine descriptors, but it proves the point still. A reason so many different dishes can be applied to a certain ethnicity is because they all have that one common factor that brings them together. It’s likely a combination between taste preferences and what ingredients are available where the dish was created, but they all have that unique flavor. That also plays a big part in how we tend to stereotype people as well. Unfortunately, i think that was how it was in Harlem. Soul Food is more or less unknown to the majority of the population in this country, mostly because of a misguided understanding of black culture. Because of what was really a lack of understanding, Soul Food wasn’t allowed to flourish to the same capacity as many other ethnic foods have.

Oh, and I think ambiance is really a preference that fluctuates on a per day basis. Sometimes I’m feeling one way and want a fancy restaurant, or I want entertainment like hibachi, or I just want a solid meal and no fuss, so i’d choose a place “off the map” that I know and love. It’s all depending on how i feel.

7. April 12th, 2010 at 19:29 | #7

I’ve lived a little north of New York City for most of my life, and I realized that I too, have not had Cuban food. For me it’s not so much a matter of taste, more just whether or not I can get the food halal or not. Still, I would imagine it to be very similar to Mexican food though, as Ilana said, given the proximity of the two countries. To answer Caroline’s question, I think that seeing and trying food from “outsiders” doesn’t make me feel more like a tourist. If anything, it makes me feel more like a New Yorker and it adds to my identity as one.
    I would also chose Victor’s Cafe 52, because I find that I want to go to a restaurant that looks nice and is clean, but I find that upscale restaurants lose authenticity. And as far as looks go for a restaurant, I think it’s incredibly important. There is no way I would ever want to go to a dirty place to eat, I would not even give it a second thought. When it comes to restaurants, image is everything. There’s a cafe on Main Street, Mount Kisco, in upper Westchester, called Mango Cafe. I have yet to see the inside of it and take a look at the menu, but I pass it every week and I always want to go. Why? Despite the fact that I hate mangos, the sign for the cafe is amazing. It’s very artistic and laid back and the fact that it’s on Main Street, Mount Kisco means that it costs a pretty penny but definitely clean. 🙂

When I think of Harlem food, I don’t think of the different cultures that the readings mentioned. I think of Southern black soul food. A friend told me about this one restaurant that sold the said “soul food” and it was fried chicken and ice cream on the same plate. Ever since then, that has been the image my mind conjured when someone said “soul food.”

8. Mimi Fuchs
    April 12th, 2010 at 19:36 | #8

To answer Caroline’s initial question on what personal, social, culture and economic value I attach to the variet of foods and diversity of culture I encounter in New York- I find that it really does matter the type of cuisine that I am going for. Living in Astoria, Queens, I am surrounded by people and foods of different backgrounds- it’s incredible how I can just walk a couple of blocks and see the different types of people the neighborhood attracts and the different experiences I can achieve by each individual restaurant. I don’t think that approaching the ethnic dishes makes us tourists though- even if we are new to it. I find that I label tourists as the people that are coming to the city and doing the expected thing- I have certainly mentioned it in class that If ind it completely absurd that the “heart” of NYC (for tourists, obviously) is Times Square. A place that is so popular and attracts so many people from around the world only offers things like Burger King and Applebees- which is so strange, considering that people are coming there to get NEW YORK! Why eat at a place that you can get anywhere else? Tourist has such a bad label attached to it, and oftentimes, for a good reason. The people that you see in NYC have kind of proved to be unadventurous- obviously this is a generalization, but in any matter, it seems to ring true in many ways. When I have traveled abroad, I have tried to get myself in the culture of the location I am as much as I can and not stick out- I wish to visit to really experience the place and not seem like an outsider- which is an entirely different type of tourist altogether, I believe.
    I have eaten Cuban Food- recently, actually, and loved it! I try to be experience as many different foods as possible, I find it boring if someone only likes pizza, pasta, and burgers- I want to enjoy Thai, Cuban, Indian, whatever! The more that you experience different types of food and expand your palette the more you open yourself to other cultures. Rachel asked if certain things from the country such as flags and symbols make a place more authentic. I find that it is to a certain extent- but often, it is the people that work at the restaurant and the way that the food is cooked that makes it authentic. On Bedford Park Boulevard there is a small Mexican place where none of the workers speak english. They all speak spanish, listen to spanish music, and have some of the best quesadillas I have ever eaten. To me, this is about as authentic as it gets!

9. April 12th, 2010 at 19:46 | #9

Similar to Caroline and Alex, I too associate “spicy” with Indian cuisine, but also Mexican cuisine. The words “grilled” or “roasted” makes me think of American food. Grilled cheese or a grilled chicken sandwiches, or roasted turkey are certainly “American.” Also, we’ve come to the point where any fast food place is considered “American.” KFC and McDonalds are at the top of this fast-food/American food market. The large variety of restaurants that cater to different cultures and economic classes is what truly makes NYC American and well, New York. Due to this large variety, it’s no wonder how we’re tourist in our own city. There are simply too many different foods for us to experience that it’s only reasonable for us to feel like outsiders sometimes.

I certainly agree with Ilana that the name of the restaurant is important. It’s the initial impression a person has of the place. A place that sounds more foreign or abstract than another restaurant will attract those who are in the mood for something exotic. But the name is not the most important factor, since essentially the reputation of a restaurant will attract more customers. The national symbols do add to a sense of authenticity and will attract those interested in eating such ethnic cuisine. However, in my experiences, too many places are advertised with ethnic authenticity that proves to be nothing more than a label. As for whether I’d be more attracted to an elaborately-decorated restaurant or a more subdued one, it would depend on my mood at the time. Usually I’m more attracted to a simple unfussy setting where the surrounding is not a distraction. The main factor that attracts me to a restaurant is neither the name nor its aesthetic setting, but the reputation it holds. Even then, you can never quite know a place until you’ve eaten there; I’ll give any place a shot.

10. April 12th, 2010 at 19:59 | #10

The purpose of the name of a restaurant is to give a clue or state what type of food is sold there. Based on that I’d have to say the name is to prompt an image. An insider of the ethnicity image would be more personal and probably based on the meaning of the name. An outsider of the ethnicity would get an idea about the cuisine and probably think something like “it sounds like nationality/ language x.” Either way both groups of people may be drawn because they associate the name with something they are knowledgeable about or may have heard about it.

The use of national symbols doesn’t add to the authenticity of a restaurant. I don’t think anything but the menu can to that. In addition to that, I agree with Ilana’s observation that restaurants are serving more Americanized dishes. Until recently I thought that if a restaurant wasn’t a Chinese takeout restaurant then I could expect authentic food to be served. I am attracted to a restaurant based on if anyone I know mentioned the country to me and once that’s decided then I look at appearance. I’d visit a small, subdued restaurant but it has to look presentable. Mood doesn’t affect my decision unless I’m going out with friends because then I’d think about how the restaurant’s atmosphere would affect our behavior.

I associate soul food with the South mostly because that’s what I’ve been told. I just accept that when I see certain foods they are southern or soul food. To answer Michal’s question I think the interest in soul food won’t decline because of its association with Harlem makes it one of the things someone has to try or do there. I agree that it caters to a different group of people but only because soul food is a cuisine that some people grew up on and they will prepare it for their kids or friends. Anyway, even if soul food loses popularity the health food has to become more popular than fast food.

11. chris
    April 12th, 2010 at 20:34 | #11

All three readings were enjoyable. Like I have stated on several posts I thoroughly enjoy the style, flow, and subject matters explored in Gastropolis. As Michal stated the juxtaposition among Cuban restaurants revealed that there was in essence no real definition or sole identity of a Cuban restaurant. But I would argue that this could be applied to all ethnic restaurants. After all we live in America a land of fusion. The “ethnic” cuisine we enjoy is a product of many cultures and the unique ethnic dishes we experience are the culmination and interpretation of an original dish. Thus each individual ethnic restaurant naturally shares some common ground in their roots but they are all unique in the way they present their meals and culture.
    Sabor to me implies so many things. It is the perfect word in Spanish to describe richness in food. The connotations are deep, flavorful and personal. To answer Carol’s question I do not think approaching ethnic dishes makes us tourists in our own city. It is still our city and America is a land of diversity and rich food. Exploring ethnic dishes I think does not make you a tourist but rather a more experienced resident. Rachel’s question is a harder one to answer. I suppose the name of the restaurant and its decorations should not be the determining factor to whether or not we would eat in any particular restaurant. The determining factor should be the quality of food. But indeed there is something to be said about atmosphere. Food is a comfort and the feel of a restaurant can be almost as important as the quality of the food. I suppose however my tastes dictate that I prefer a quaint, often small, and humble restaurant.
    I do find Rachel’s interpretation of Soul food to be close to my own. I have never ventured to Harlem for anything but a swim meet so I cannot comment on the present establishments there. But when I hear soul food I do think of the South and not of Harlem. My grandpa and uncle are somewhat of countrymen and I spent a good part of my childhood in my uncle’s rural estate. They were quite fond of soul food if you will: fried okra, and other country dishes that could delight anyone. So soul food to me has its roots in the south and not in Harlem. As Rachel noted, “The author states that importance of soul food is overplayed today, and that other immigrant groups and their contributions to Harlem are overlooked.” I internally agreed when I read this from both the reading and from Rachel. It might be odd but the black renaissance of culture and the explosion of soul and soul food is not the first thing I think of when I hear Harlem. Instead I think of Puetro Rico’s prized poet Julia de Burgos who was treated as a stranger and died in Harlem alone and buried in an unmarked grave. Indeed proving the overlooked contributions of other peoples.

12. echristian1991
    April 12th, 2010 at 21:30 | #12

Reading Eating in Cuban actually reminds me of the whole being with your own ethnicity. During our food tour this weekend we went to go get a vietnamese sandwich and we saw I suppose vietnamese people as well as a white person and I do think when you enter a restaurant like the sandwich shop or the cuban restaurant or a Salvadorean restaurant, I think its like entering a new place even if it is in your backyard, the language changes, the music and atmosphere changes. When I was talking to the waitress in the Salvadorean restaurant in spanish, Simone (no offense =D) was a bit lost because we were asking questions and I was ordering all in spanish. Also when we were in the sandwich shop I asked do you have cheese and they said “No cheese, butter”. So it is like entering a different culture.

Answering Rachel’s question on the ambiance and attraction, I definately believe it. Once again on the walking tour the colors blue, then white then blue struck my attention and then Pupusas just popped in my head and then the traditional darkened restaurant and loud music playing =D It was great. I do think that by displaying what you want you can attract the people you want as well as attract people who want to try the cuisine.

I do think that sabor plays a major part into the hispanic pallete. Mainly because my mom keeps changing all the reciepts so they would be “fat-free” however it loses alot of its sabor. When going to eat my grandma’s pernil, I love the juice, the spices, the taste. Tan Sabroso =D So the word sabor and the pallete go hand in hand

Reading about Cooking up heritage in Harlem, I realized its not all just one ethnicity. Its like being hispanic. We arent lumped together into one big old mosh or being oriental asian. We have different blends of cultures and each with its own culture. (Sorry Anthropologist view) One thing I never can know is “Soul food” I mean as Rachel said I had collard greens before and it was called “Soul food”. What Im guessing is that every culture has there version of soul food. Like I suppose chicken soup would be soul food or maybe for me a strawberrie milk shake made from my mom (thank goodness she knows how to make this) is my soul food. I think soul food varies from place to place. And may be dubbed differently but I think they all have the same effect. good tasting and makes you feel like your back at your roots.

13. Anna Gura
    April 12th, 2010 at 22:03 | #13

The readings for this week were all very interesting and made me think of things I’ve never thought of before. Before I read “Eating in Cuba,” for example, I’ve never thought of New Yorkers that go out and try the different foods that exist around them as tourists. It’s a very interesting concept and by the definition of tourist, “one who travels for pleasure,” it makes sense. New Yorkers, I guess, travel to the different restaurants for pleasure, and therefore tour New York even though they live here. I’ve never eaten Cuban food, and never thought of it, but now I’m going to try and find a Cuban restaurant. Out of the three, I would also choose Victor’s Café 52 because like Rachel, I like that they describe all the dishes on the menu.

“Livin’ la Vida Sabrosa” brought up very interesting points about the word “sabor.” Like Caroline and others I, too, associate “spicy” with Indian, although not solely Indian. I personally don’t like spicy foods, but it’s fascinating how I can say to somebody “Oh, I don’t like spicy food” and they can say “I wouldn’t recommend Indian or Mexican,” how a word can represent a whole cultural cuisine. I think that the name of a restaurant is definitely important, I think it is the most important part of its image. Lets say that a Mexican restaurants name is something in Spanish, it is important because Spanish-speaking costumers will either be pulled or pushed away by that name. National symbols are an important part of telling your costumers what kind of food you serve, but I feel like there’s a point where it is overdone. I know it’s not common in the city, but if the place looks clean from the outside and inside, I am very attracted to it. Other than that, the symbols and name are an important part as well. And I would visit any restaurant that has a good reputation, no matter if it is “elaborately-decorated” or a more subdued one.

I’ve learned a lot from “Cooking Up Heritage in Harlem” because one, I’ve never been there and two, the only things I know about it are from what we learned in history classes about the Harlem Renaissance. And what we’ve learned in this class about it as well. No particular foods come to mind when I think Harlem, but I do see how “soul food” is related to it.

14. April 12th, 2010 at 22:37 | #14

I’ve had Cuban food several times and it is amazing. There used to be a little Cuban restaurant next to my school called Sucelt Coffee Shop. They used to serve great rice and beans with plantains. Unfortunately, they went out of business a year ago. The store was very authentic, and very cheap. For me I would say that Victor’s Café 52 would be the place I would most likely visit and eat in. My reason being because when reading about it I could tell that it has kept its authenticity, and the menu does go into detail about the dishes for the uneducated eater.
    The name of a restaurant can be important. Why spend money constructing a restaurant and give it a bad name. Customers want something catchy and something that defines the place in a very short manner. You want something that people are going to remember.
    The use of national symbols in a restaurant gives the restaurant an identity. It makes the customers feel as though they are eating in the country that the cuisine is based off of. I am attracted to the small hole in the wall restaurants that aren’t as recognized as they should be. There is a Serbian restaurant on 8th street and avenue C that you can barely see, but once you get to the block, all you need to do is listen to the live music coming from it. I also love listening to music while eating, I think that it adds to the authenticity of a restaurant if there is music from that country playing. For some restaurants, the main goal is to make customers feel as though they have escaped into another world.
    When I think of Harlem, I think of soul food. However, there is a huge problem with the lack of adequate food access in Harlem, Washington Heights, South Bronx, Flatbush, and some others. These neighborhoods are surrounded by bodegas and fast food stores, which is no wonder why these neighborhoods show higher obesity and diabetes levels. People that live there need to travel a long way to get to a supermarket or somewhere that sells fresh food that isn’t processed. From what I read I commend Harlem’s effort to maintain their identity with soul food when the neighborhood lacks sufficient food resources.

15. Peter Esposito
    April 12th, 2010 at 22:51 | #15

There has always been a certain aura about Cuban food and Cuban culture that I have found attractive. Maybe it’s the unique music that creates that unmatched charm for me, but it’s probably more the Cuban cigars. Anyway, I wish I had more experience with Cuban food, because there is so much flavor (sabrosa); maybe I’ll check out some of the restaurants inthe readings.

In answer to Caroline’s first question, I think that it is fun to be a tourist in your own city, like Ilana said. Growing up in New York I naturally consider myself somewhat of an aficionado on all things NYC, but when you actually start walking around New York you realize how little you actually know. For me, it is exciting to discover new places and especially new foods. I think it does change how you approach food, because you realize that there is so much out there for you that you had no idea about.

Like the “sabrosa” of Cuban food, the word that first comes to mind when I think of Italian food is “fresh”. I’m not sure if it is a perfect analogy, but I think it captures the essence of Italian food, which is based on simplicity and freshness of ingredients.

I think that while the restaurant’s name and decor does have an influence on how I view it, it does not carry that much weight for me. Some of the best food I have had came from little places with not too much glitz and glamour. In fact, my favorite hot dogs come from a simple, small place called Greys Papaya, and my favorite French fries (actually Belgian fries) are from a tiny hole-in-the-wall called Pomme Frites.

16. April 13th, 2010 at 10:46 | #16

In response to Caroline’s question I would like to say that I never feel like a tourist in the very place that I live. The fact that we live and some of us have lived here for very long times makes it almost natural to see foods from different countries. This is the beauty of a city like New York because since there is so much diversity and so a diversity in places to buy food and even clothes it is almost natural to expect not to know everything everyone is saying or everything offered on a particular menu. I think “sabor” is a great word used to describe Latin foods because they are very tasty and I am extremely biased because not only am I Hispanic but I could never get tired of Latin food. When I was little I would be walking home and I could smell whatever it was that my mom was cooking and it would just make me that much more eager to get home so that I would be able to eat the food that smelled so good.

I also believe that the whole atmosphere of the restaurant would have to be a selling point. If a place is more packed then people are more likely to go inside and try something which is the very logic behind the way things like Verizon and Cablevision advertise; they advertise that lots of people use their service and are happy with it. At the same time I agree with Peter when he says that some of my favorite foods come from the littlest places that most people would not notice on a first glance. It is always fun to try something new and living in New York there are always opportunities to try new things.

1. No trackbacks yet.