Hello everyone! My name is Jana Abumusallam and I’m from South Setauket, Long Island. My parents are immigrants from a Middle Eastern country called Jordan. Below is a picture of Jordan’s most famous landmark, Petra.

Petra

Arabic was my first language (my parents didn’t know much english until we started going to school). I am trilingual–fluent in Arabic and English and conversational in French. I have two siblings: an older sister named Jenine (21), and a younger brother named Omar (15). Both are extremely annoying, but I love them anyway.

I played piano as a child, but sadly have forgotten everything about the instrument. When I started school, I was dying to get into the orchestra. I signed up for violin in third grade, and because I thought I was so good, I switched to cello the year after. I was terrible at both and quit by the end of fourth grade. I realized a few months later that my true calling was singing. I have been in choral and chamber choirs since fifth grade, and stuck with it all the way through senior year.

Although I do love to sing, I love to read and write even more. Fortunately, almost everything interests me, so I have a hard time finding books I don’t enjoy. I frequently read five and six hundred page books in one or two sittings. I’m also a very fast reader, especially when I’m enthralled with a really good story. bookworm

My favorite food is sushi. I could eat it day in and day out without ever getting tired of it. I consider myself a sushi connoisseur because of how often I consume it. I can tell when it’s poorly prepared and doesn’t taste as fresh as it should–wonderful skill to have, I know.

sushi

I’m not entirely sure what I want to major in, but I know that I want to do something with medicine. I love neurology and the study of the mind, so psychology or psychiatry might be my calling. All I know is that I’m beyond excited to begin my college career and a new chapter of my life.

It’s been great meeting you all and reading your introductions! Best of luck to you all in the next four years. 🙂