John Singer Sargent… An American painter? (Reading Response 9/9)

Is John Singer Sargent Italian? French? English? Or is John Singer Sargent American? Whatever the case may be, John Sargent is a one of a kind artist who makes his subjects stand out in his paintings in a noble fashion. His vast cultural experience allow his work to grasp a country’s culture and mindset. Each of his works have very different messages, due to his interesting background, that are heavily dictated by palette of colors he chooses for his subjects.

join-the-social-good-summit-global-conversation-75507bb3631

In John Singer Sargent’s works, Young Lady in Black (also known as the Lady with the Rose) and Lady Playfair, show very similar styles, yet they are very unique. In both works of art, you immediately see that they are portraits of females (probably women of noble class) in very elegant dresses with flowers in hand. In Young Lady in Black, instead of holding a bouquet of colorful flowers, the woman is holding a single white flower that greatly contrasts with her dark dress. This creates a darker atmosphere within the painting and the theme of light versus darkness. It is a seemingly depressing piece of work, but the women’s face seems like the faces of children when they don’t find a magician’s tricks amusing, unimpressed like our president. The dress resembles crow feathers, which further emphasizes the gloomy aura in which the painting radiates.

On the other hand, Lady Playfair uses a darker background and a dress that has a shine imitating gold. The dress seems so realistic, almost as if John Singer Sargent got gold foil and gilded the painting. Maybe the bouquet of flowers that the woman is holding shows off her more “senior” status, and maybe the colors shows her life to be more rounded off and completed. Unlike Young Lady in BlackLady Playfair‘s face is much more content and more willing to get her portrait done, more of proud of her given situation.

John Singer Sargent must’ve met many different types of subjects while creating his refined portraits, just like Baruch and its diverse student body, you never know who you’ll meet.

In John Singer Sargent’s other artworks, they each have their very own character that are sometimes polar opposite in personalities. Take a look at Doctor Pozzi and the person in the white robe. Unlike the person in the white robe, Doctor Pozzi is portrayed to be a man of great power, which is conveyed through the painting’s blood red theme. Personally, he looks like he would hurt someone if he didn’t get his way (quite ironic since the person is a doctor). The person in the white robe is painted to be very serene and forgiving in nature. Maybe as humans we should be more open to seeing life in different perspectives. The white theme of the painting is definitely much more forgiving on the eyes and, as a result, allows the audience to focus on the religious ritual the person is performing on the vibrant flooring the person is standing on. John Singer Sargent emphasizes on certain colors in his paintings to give them very distinguishable personalities.

YinYangDragon_3_256175302

Sounds live in John Singer Sargent’s El Jaleo and The Daughters of Edward Darley Boit. The lighting effect on El Jaleo makes the artwork lively and puts spectators of the painting in the audience.  In addition, the  shadows are just as lively as the people dancing, performing the music, and clapping to the powerful vibe of Spanish music; there is so much energy bouncing off the painting.

On a much calmer note, The Daughters of Edward Darley Boit has a dainty classical piece that compliments the art. The calm demeanor of the girls with the grand room constructs a small ensemble playing the most relaxing and playful classical music known to man. The lighting of the room is very natural, which can only bring back memories of the non-stressful days as a kid. John Singer Sargent can dictate a piece’s melody through different perspectives of lighting.

classical-music-2

John Singer Sargent has most definitely lived a life that many people will probably never experience. His diverse cultural background enabled him to create very powerful and calming pieces of art through the emphasis of his color choice, expressions, and lighting. It reminds me of the different experiences I encountered of when I traveled, each place made me grow in different aspects as a human. He understands the culture of what he is painting and then makes his painting scream the times.

1. Ahmed Farooq

Hi Matt, I have not had the pleasure of traveling as much as I would have liked, but the few places I have been to have opened my mind to cultures, and languages, and people that I could not even have imagined otherwise. Due to this, I can understand why you think that John Singer Sargent’s vast amounts of travel aided him in encapsulating the mood and tone of a place and then have “his painting scream the times.” At first glance of his paintings, before I was aware of his travels I did not think that his travels would have had any, if at all, impact on his painting. I think the only way to understand the way travel and experience of new cultures and places can influence a person can only be appreciated by another person who has had the pleasure of traveling.

• anthonychen715

Hello Matt, your response was indeed very intuitive and insightful. Sargent’s pieces really stood out to you in creative ways. I guess even his work is contagious to keep viewers in deep thought. It was interesting how certain pieces struck out to you as relating to our experience at Baruch. The diversity of the paintings and styles really embody different qualities and perceptions for each individual. It is also interesting to see how one who travels so much, views artwork such as these.

2. Maxwell Sternberg

Knowing how you enjoy traveling the world I feel as if you are able to connect to the diversity of Sargent’s works. I wonder if you think that Sargent would never be where he is today if he had not travelled the globe as a child, and in his later years. Just seeing the many different style of Sargent’s work it has caused me to want to start traveling as much as I could. Besides for the enjoyment, I realize that traveling to a foreign country not only makes you more knowledgable, but can change the person you are. I hope that in the near future I can become an avid traveller just as you and John Sargent have been able to do !

3. borysshturman

Hey Matt, you make a good point about his vast cultural experience. Due to the fact he was able to travel so much he was able to diversify his art and make it unique. I also traveled around Europe like you and can agree that it reminded me about my travels.

4. Brandon Green

Hi Matt, I like your point that Sargent is able to adapt to the cultures around him. His worldly experience certainly gives him an advantage when compared to other artists. You out of all of our classmates must be able to resonate with this due to your travels. Your piece made me question whether Sargent really has a nationality or not, I now see that he is more a citizen of the earth than a citizen of a particular country.