“Every Portrait Tells a Lie” and “How John singer Sargent Made a Scene” Reading Response

In an era of selfies and snapchats, we often find ourselves taking photos of even the most mundane tasks in order to capture a moment. Every phone has a camera, every person as a phone, and so everyone is participating in the world wide phenomenon of picture-taking. However, in previous years, capturing a moment was not as simple. Debra Brehmer’s essay “Every Portrait Tells a Lie” discusses how portraiture was used as a medium to capture a moment, and Sarah Churchwell’s essay “How John Singer Sargent Made a Scene” described how John Singer Sargent went about creating his tremendously popular portraits.

In her essay, Brehmer mentioned h817732481ow the image a portrait portrays is often a lie, however, it relays a message of truth. Often, a picture is framed. Despite the events that occur before, after, and during a portrait is created, we are often contorted into uncomfortable poses for pictures that portray a distinct idea. Because pictures last forever. Brehmer wrote in her essay that “portraiture want what cannot be held: Life to stop without being dead”. I was shrouded by a sense of awe as I slowly realized how I agreed with Brehmer’s point. I have plenty of photos in my own home where I’m smiling next to my family. To the superficial glance, I look cheery and delighted, as does the rest of my family. However, I distinctly remember several instances of nasty word exchanges before and after these pictures were taken. But this doesn’t mean that a portrait is a complete lie. Brehmer discussed how the scene that is trying to be attained symbolizes the desire to make the portrait reality. And so happy family photos may allude to the desire to have a happy family. I also agree with this conclusion on the truth behind portraits.

John Singer Sargent was one of a few extremely popular artists that was consistently inquired to make new portraits for a variety of people. Churchwell describes this process in her essay, where Sargent woDT91uld often play the piano in between brush strokes and sometimes spent a measly twenty-five minutes each day adding to his paintings. Although, because he was painting for the sake of others, Sargent often felt pressure to draw in a way that was pleasing to the public. However, this did not stop him from remaining faithful to his personal style. I believe this is the reason why he became so successful. Although there were instances where his artwork was rejected, for example, “Madame X”, Sargent continued pursuing his artwork in a fashion that was distinctly his own. Even through the frustration of creating “Madame X” despite his negative feelings about the paintability of the sitter, Sargent created what is now known as an artistic masterpiece. This fact especially impacted me. To understand that in art, even frustration creates beauty is a very powerful concept to me. Whimsical inspiration is not the keystone to great art, but rather a desperation to explore the dimensions of your own artwork.

Sargent’s singular style, I believe, is what made him the success that he is. Despite criticism and expectations, his loyalty to his artwork is what made him important. He portrayed the lies of portraiture through a stylistic beauty that could not be rendered by another artist. Today, his impact is still felt throughout the artistic community.

1. ireneyao

Your comparison of the current pictures that are being taken to what was used to capture a moment back then, shows a new perspective to me. I did not realize the easy access that we have now to take a picture compared to back then where you may have had to pose for hours to get a painting drawn of you in a specific moment. We take for granted the availability that we have now. I agree with the point you make about the “lie” that portraits and pictures are created as. Before, after, even during a picture/ portrait is not shown, but what is shown is only what the artist wanted to see as well as what he painted from his point of view to show others. John Sargents Madam X shows the authors intention and his point of view of this women. Due to this view, Sargents photo was harshly criticized but also gained fame for its boldness and criticism.

2. ashleyskaria

I like how you began your response by noting that in today’s world, everyone has a phone and access to a camera. In the past, not only would the subject of a painting have to pose, but the artist itself would have to figure out how best to depict their subject. Today, it is so easy to take an unsuspecting picture of a friend laughing candidly. To me, that is more truthful than a portrait because it is not posed or fake.