“Every Portrait Tells A Lie” And “How John Singer Sargent Made A Scene”

There is no standing still because time is moving forward.” (Gregory Lake) This quote captures the crux of what Debra Brehmer is trying to relay; nothing is still or permanent, everything and everyone is always changing, so make the most of every second because it will never come back. Portraiture, especially through the use of photography, is an unusual art form in which a snapshot, frozen in time, is created to last forever. The atmosphere, the time, and the emotions present in a photograph can never be exactly repeated. Portraits attempt to distill these elements. We should look back from time to time to see how we have grown and what has changed but we need to remember to move forward because “time is moving forward.”

I can personally relate to the idea of making the most of every second through my athletic experiences. My coaches drilled the idea of forgetting the past, and forgetting the future, and just giving maximum effort and attention to every moment that is now. Athletics are a prime example of the unrelenting march of time. A fraction of a second is the difference between winning and losing. After the game, from experience, I can tell you that the losing side discusses everything they could have done different in those seconds that would have changed the ultimate outcome, the losing team wishes they can relive those precious few seconds. But time just keeps moving forward.

As an athlete I have learned the importance of maximizing every second, and as I transition to college and being a student full time, many of the same principles apply. The time spent watching netflix or sleeping in before a test cannot be changed no matter how madly you wish to go back to that time and make yourself study. The concept of time management is an essential key for everyone to master so that we can limit the regrets we have with how we spent our time. I am learning to never let a second go to waste, I am learning to use every second I have to my benefit. Instead of playing 2048 on the train to and from school, I am reading textbooks. Instead of watching netflix all night, I am, albeit resentfully, trying to get to sleep on time. Instead of dazing off in class and having to study twice as much to retain the material, I am focusing on the lesson.

I would like to add that I thought that art, and the discussion of art, and the reactions to art were a waste of time, but after seeing the degree to which my reflections to these artworks allow me to open up to myself, I am beginning to truly admire art. Sarah Churchwell stated that “art is the perfect empathy,” but it is an abstract paradoxical idea to grasp. The paradox in the notion that art is tool to understand and share the feelings of another is the idea that one painting, a singular image for all, can empathize diverse feelings for every viewer.

1. Maxwell Sternberg

Ahmed, I can completely relate to your comparison of appreciating time in an athletic situation. Right when I read that point, I instantly started to recount so many times I had that experience. I believe this is an important lesson, not only when it comes to athletics, but when it comes to life as a whole too. I hope that I can take this lesson and apply them to my everyday life.

2. Brandon Green

Hi Ahmed, I am also learning to maximize every moment of my day in my transition to a college student. Back in High School, I would often goof off on Youtube when i got home, delaying the inevitable homework that wouldn’t get any shorter with my procrastination. Now that I am fully in charge of myself, when I get back to the dorm I get right to work and save the goofing off for after all of my homework is done.

3. Zhaolin (Jason) Tong

Often times, we are spent pondering about what we could’ve done but those times are usually evanescent. Our brain quickly removes the memories like waste. There really isn’t a point in pondering the past. We can’t change what happened. All we can do is change what will happen. One take away from your article for me would be that art can be used as a tool to capture the time of something fading or it can also capture the time when “that moment” in your life was perfect. It may not make sense to others when they examine your art as to why it was so important, but to you, the effect is significant.