“Field in Hammock, Florida”

"Figure in Hammock, Florida" - Original

“Figure in Hammock, Florida”

1st re-creation

1st re-creation

Sargent 2

2nd re-creation

3rd Re-creation

3rd Re-creation

1. Zhaolin (Jason) Tong

I really enjoy your first recreation. It gives me a feel of the new modernized world. You contrasted the past with the present flawlessly. One thing I do suggest is possibly changing the background of the original image to something like the 1950s? The 2nd creation doesn’t seem to match the theme too much in my opinion. It kind of sets itself apart from the other two recreations. The third recreation connects the technology part of the modernized world with the portrait Sargent made, so I thought that was interesting.

2. matthewlam

Your theme is very interesting, from what I can see it is how modern society prefers to lounge around in comparison to the past. I like how the first picture shows how our environment is completely modernized, but we continue to do very similar activities from the past, reading. Your second picture has a much different style, but it shows how in our modern society we find little time for our self. We are too often engulfed in our work that we don’t have time for enjoyment or leisure. The third picture is probably my favorite because it depicts how technology has played a huge role in influencing our leisure time.

3. chynellemenezes

Your re-creations were very creative! I really enjoyed examining them! It’s interesting how in the first re-creation everything but the subject (the man in the hammock) is in sharp definition. I suppose in the city the people tend to blur when compared to the industry around them. They are just a few of millions of people sprawled about the streets and buildings. The introduction of dialogue in the second re-creation is shocking. Although the people are in the same natural landscape as the original, they are completed immersed in action, a huge contrast to the lazy day the original man in the hammock is having. I thought the last picture was funny. Although I can’t see exactly what the little images are, I can make out a stick figure running; the irony lies in a picture of a man relaxing being fashioned out of countless images of men on the move. The statement here might be the endless days of work and rush that sponsor that one moment of vacation. Very well done!