Creative Assignment #1: “Garden Study of the Vickers Children”

Garden_Study_Vickers_Children

Original

Garden_Study_Vickers_Children (2)

Alteration #1

Garden Study of the Vickers Children

Alteration #2 (Click into it. It’s a gif!)

12064211_1184963551519957_108906020_n

Alteration #3 (Click into it. It is not as blurry)

1. Zhaolin (Jason) Tong

Wow! You did the assignment on the same painting as me. The overall theme for this painting is innocence of the children. I like the idea of how you made the 1st picture white to emulate kind of an angel’s aura. Although I would prefer the second picture to be a bit clearer to demonstrate the innocence of the children, I do like the idea of the video camera. Very modern! Lastly, the third picture of the scrap book is a very innovative idea. I especially enjoy the lilies origami. One thing i do ask is why is there a green wall of flowers and plants on the left but not on the right? What is the purpose of that wall of plants there?

2. Zhaolin (Jason) Tong

3. matthewlam

Your art reminds me of when I was kid in the garden and all the memories that I had there. Generally, I get the feeling the theme of the art is that memories are an integral part of who we are. I like how the first and second pictures contrast in the time frame of camera technology, but they are both capturing the moment. The first one gives the children more innocence, while the second one feels more like a modern day picture with kids. The third picture basically ties the first and picture together, very creative idea. It seems like we are looking in our old photo album, while reminiscing about the positive events of our childhood. The origami was a very good touch, it made the photo “come alive” by extending the picture forward.

4. bensadighm

I love your approach to this project because you were so consistent about your “memory” theme. Each variation is just another way of saving and keeping a fond childhood memory. With your first one (the Polaroid picture), that is just one great example of a way to capture a moment so that it may be cherished for longer. You carried this theme onto the second variation where it is “movie-version” of the same moment. And even into the third, the memory of the children playing with the flowers are kept by making a (very creative!) scrapbook! I also like how you gave the children names to make it feel more personable and realistic!

5. chynellemenezes

It seemed to me that the theme of this post was capturing a memory. No matter how old and corrupt those children may grow to be, that moment in the garden and the strength of their relationship is preserved forever with Sargent’s painting. It was clever to realize the modern day version of this is pictures, scrapbooks, and home videos. The nostalgia that accompanies each of those mediums was also prevalent in the original and just added to the sweetness the children exuded in the painting. I appreciate the work you put into this project to maintain that theme so well throughout all the variations!

6. ireneyao

I really enjoyed your “childhood” theme. It matches well with the fact that the painting originally is about 2 children. Taking that and creating a memory using this painting was very interesting . I love the polaroid and video, its very cute and further points out that this is about cihldren and capturing their childhoods in a memory.