Creative Assignment #1: Isabella Stewart Gardner

ISG113861 Isabella Stewart Gardner (1840-1924), 1888 (oil on canvas) by Sargent, John Singer (1856-1925); 190x80 cm; © Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, Boston, MA, USA; REPRODUCTION PERMISSION REQUIRED; American,  out of copyright PLEASE NOTE: The Bridgeman Art Library works with the owner of this image to clear permission. If you wish to reproduce this image, please inform us so we can clear permission for you.

Original. Isabella Stewart Gardner  by Sargent, John Singer.

Isabella Stewart Gardner edit #2

Variation #1

Screen Shot 2015-09-27 at 3.21.45 PM

Variation #2

Variation #3

1. Tan Yee Yeung

For this painting our eyesight is being brought up to the head. The portrait is lighter as you travel up. Also the intricate background makes it seems like a halo on Isabella Stewart Gardner. I like how in each of the variation you make the head stand out even more. My favorite one is the first variation. The vibrancy of the color draws even more attention to Gardner’s head. The hands-on variation is very creative. I like the pop-up effect you made. Also the video really puts the theme that mind is over body in place.

2. Brandon Green

I like that in your last variation you were actually able to zoom in on the subject’s head. In the original image, our eyes are drawn to the woman’s head due to the shading as well as the background. We could almost eliminate the background from the portrait in your video because the zoom accomplishes the same task as the background does.

3. ashleyskaria

Your emphasis on the head over the body is highlighted throughout each of your variations. The original’s focus is on the woman’s entire body while your variations focus on the face itself. I think the approach you took is really interesting. In today’s day and age, there is a greater emphasis that is placed on the face. In our “selfie culture” the main subject of every picture is a face. As I look at your post, I’m reminded of our culture’s obsession with a part rather than the whole.