Jim Shaw

According to a New York Times article, Jim Shaw has “one of the oddest careers in post-Pop, post-Conceptual, latter-day Surrealist art.” His style can be described as “hallucinatory imagination.” Through his style, Shaw can create a fascinating view of the human soul, mind, and spirit of the nation, as shown on the left image. The art shown is from his famous “Thrift Store Paintings.” More of them can be found here.

What comes to mind when I look at such images? First, they are very abstract in a sense. The art is defined in that in shows no blurred lines and every line is bold and clear cut, but the meaning behind  the art must be accounted for by the viewer.

Let’s examine this one, for instance. The setting is calm, the characters in the art is extremely jubilant. I should mention that these characters in the painting seems to be from the lost city of Atlantis… 

One thing that stuck out to me is how none of them are wearing clothes. Is it because Jim Shaw views clothing as a burden to this “free world” the characters are in? The colors in the picture are especially warm and doesn’t harm the eye. There isn’t any especially bold colors like red or yellow. The mood of the sunset is shown from the fading brown into a light Sunkist orange. The skin tone of the characters are peachy in color, and looks very soothing to the eye.

In another article, Shaw is portrayed similarly. According to Jim Shaw, From Trash Bins and Swapshe is characterized as one who goes through “trash” and uses it to forge “prodigious body of work that melds his eccentric collections with his comic-Surrealist paintings.” He rejects the modern views that art is a keeper of the final truth. He instead believes art as a “human search for spiritual peace.” The New Museum’s associate director and director of exhibitions, Mr. Gioni believes that Shaw’s inspiration lies in the forms of visual culture at the time of disappearance. Indeed, the article asserts that he is what can be known as the underground artist’s underground artist in that “his career has prowled the vicinities of fringe churches, cults, dangerous political movements, visionary art scenes and failed philosophies. Notably, Jim Shaw is one of those artist who doesn’t believe in making art for the market. He has the true artistic freedom that some artists lacks. 

1. Maxwell Sternberg

To say Jim Shaw is one of the most interesting contemporary artists does not do him justice. I agree that Shaw’s motivation and meaning in his work is not just distinct, but it also seems genuine. Shaw is one of those geniuses who has no other motivation, but to create what he feels is right. Regarding his actual work, I find Shaw’s work very modern and very fascinating. Each painting contains a different topic or story underneath it. What is even greater is that Shaw lets the viewer decide the meaning or story.

2. dami

I find Jim Shaw’s art works every interesting. There seems to be a common overtone and vibe that I get from all of his paintings. I think that his works of art are really up to the interpretation of the viewer. I personally think that all of Shaw’s work are telling a different story that speaks to me. For example, the painting that you talked about really spoke to the free spirit side of me. Not only with the background of the open ocean, but also the free body movements and the nudity of the figures. I think that the nudity of the figures really emphasize the freedom
    from the restrictions that clothing puts on people these days.

3. photographerkt18

I took a look at the link you provided and I have to admit I really enjoy Jim Shaw’s work. He seems to have a very strong sense of self and an even stronger need for artistic integrity. His paintings are refreshingly unique and at times joyous. His use of lively colors rally accentuates his personality. Also, I love the juxtaposition between his art with traditional abstract paintings; Shaw uses defined lines and shapes.

4. anthonychen715

Its interesting to learn about Jim Shaw’s perspective in the modern-era of the art world. His rejection of modern views that art is a keeper of the final truth, and instead believes art as a “human search for spiritual peace” was very intriguing. His works truly embody the value of freedom artistically, that most people in the profession lack now.

5. emilyweiss

From the description you gave of his work, I wanted to know more about Jim Shaw and his artistic career. You gave a great overall summary of his talent and left links to some of his very interesting paintings. I am pleased by his pieces, personally, and I feel you can really get a sense of who Shaw is just by looking at one of them. That’s an important aspect of art: to be able to not just enjoy it but connect it to the creator and their personality/life. He has a very particular style and it can be seen woven throughout his paintings… I agree that is somewhat eminent of a “hallucinatory imagination”.

6. Zuzanna Osiecka

Jim Shaw seems like a very unique artist. The painting that you analyzed is so different from what I am used to seeing. I feel that Shaw creates art because it is what he truly loves to do, and that is what a real artist should do. I agree that art is a “human search for spiritual peace”. Many people find art to be the best medium to let their creative energy and emotions out. They can express themselves in a healthy way that is also pleasing for other people to look at.

7. johncasella

I think in order to be an artist, you must have some sort of free spirit; societal norms are seen as guidelines that can and should be broken, especially in your craft. That’s exactly what Jim Shaw has done, and I admire that greatly. I especially admire that he is “one of those artists who doesn’t believe in making art for the market.” It exemplifies his appreciation for the art world and that a paycheck isn’t nearly as satisfying than creating something that society as a whole can enjoy.