Turnadot

Reading Turnadot, I found the plot to be overlly dramatic and in general unbelievable. However if looked closely, it is similar to that of our Disney princesses in which we admire and look up to. Princess Turnadot is an undeniably beautiful women who men die for, literally. This play displays not only the naive ideals of love but also incorporates the desperation and blind following of it by the young.

The play begins with the execution of a persian prince who has failed the task in which he would either marry or die for the princess. The tasks, seemingly and easy one, is that you have to answer the three riddles the princess gives you and if you successfully answer them you can marry her but if you fail to then she will execute you. This is seen as exaggerated and unbelievable that someone would agree. However this emphasizes the princesses beauty. The unknown prince, also known as prince calaf also falls in love with her. Despite having only recently reunited with his father he is willing to risks his life for “love”. Which ends the first act.

Following this introduction, eventually prince Calaf does answer all three of Princess Turnadots riddles,however she does not wish to marry him. And so, he gives her a tasks in which if she learns his name she does not have to marry her and he will be killed also. With a twists a servant of his, Liu kills herself in order to protect Calafs name. This is where we see the one-sided love from a lowly servant to that of her prince. This not only broke my heart to read but also made me dislike prince Calaf a bit more. Personally, I enjoy rooting for the underdogs of the story but that is not the only reason why i dislike prince Calaf. Although i commend him for his bravery, he fell in love with the princess looks and despite having someone who cares so much about him near him, he chose beauty. Princess Turnadot however, fell in love with Calafs personality. Even though she does find out his name, she doesnt say because she begins to like him and eventually she does marry him.

This play is full of twists and turns that it was hard to keep up. Despite how dramatic and unrealistic this may of been, it was interesting to read because usually I watch shows that present the same plots. However I believe that watching and reading provide two different views and evokes different feelings. I’m looking forward to watching this opera!Unknown

1. johncasella

I agree with you 100% that it follows a very Disney-like plot, with the prince and the princess falling in love at the end. This is the plotline that virtually every opera follows. Similar to your feelings, I found it very selfish of Calaf to fall in love with Turandot even though she was the reason that Liu died; how could he have the audacity to marry a person who caused the demise of someone who saved his life? Despite all of this craziness, I am very excited to see what the opera’s live performance Tuesday.