Art: How it Changes Landscapes

eye_needle_snow_white_470x350

Needle eye art

Now art comes in a lot of different sizes. There are art so small and minuscule  that it can fit in the eye of a needle. On the other hand, there are art that are so big and vast that it covers a whole landscape. These artworks on the colossal level are what Christo and Jeanne-Claude specialized in. The article in the New York Times called “Next From Christo: Art That Lets You Walk on Water” by Carol Vogel introduced the latest artwork by Christo and explained the “artist duo” who are behind these grand artworks. Through their art, it is shown that art can alter and improve landscapes. These artworks that involves the landscape lets people have a more vivid experience with the art while boosting the economies in these area.

christo and jeanne claude

Christo and Jeanne-Claude along with Michael Bloomberg on the opening of “The Gate” at Central Park.

Let’s start off with some background information on Christo and Jeanne-Claude. They were an “artist duo” who collaborated together to bring large-scale artworks to many landscapes around the world. Some of their work includes the “7,500 gates along the Central Park”, the “365-foot-high curtain across a valley in Colorado”, the “161 trees

"Valley Curtain" at Colorado

“Valley Curtain” at Colorado

in black and white polyester mesh in a park in Basel, Switzerland” and many more. Jeanne-Claude took care of the organization and financial aspect of their projects while Christo took care of the creative aspect. They were a dynamic duo. They shared the same birthday, June 13, 1935, and they both use only a first name. Cristo hand-picked Jeanne-Claude’s “flaming red hair”. This couple “had been inseparable for 47 years” until Jeanne-Claude’s death from a complications of a brain aneurysm in 2009.

floating piers

Drawing for “The Floating Piers” project.

Christo, however, still continues to work on various projects. The main project the article mentions is “The Floating Piers.” It is an installation of about “200,000 floatable cubes covered in glittering, dahlia-yellow fabric fashioned from tightly woven nylon,” on Lake Lseo of Italy. The view from the surrounding mountains of this pathway is changing since the light changes throughout the day altering the color of the floatable cubes “from deep yellow to shimmering gold to a reddish hue when wet.” This project will connect the islands on Lake Lseo to the mainland and to each other.

Lake Lseo

Lake Lseo

Through “The Floating Piers” project, I learned how art can adjust a landscape and bring more attention and attraction to a certain area. The pathway of floatable cubes allows the people on the islands or mainland to directly walk to

each other instead of relying on boats. The project created a walkway that did not naturally occur in the landscape itself. This adjustment can make life more easy for the people who live in the Lake Lseo area. It connects them and brings them closer to each other. It is also a tourist attraction since it allows people to basically walk for “nearly two miles on water”. Since Lake Lseo is the least known of Italy’s northern lakes, this installation will bring an inflow of tourists which may boost the economy of the local area. This artwork also embodies a vivid experience that allows you to interact with it by walking on it and enjoying the view on the way.

Putting all these grand-schemed projects together was not easy. Christo and Jeanne-Claude had to wait many years for government approval or permit to work on these landscape. Thanks to them, we can enjoy these artworks that combines aesthetic and experience of a lifetime. After all, after the “16 days starting June 18” showcase of the pathway, how many people can say that they had walked on Lake Lseo before?

1. emilyweiss

What a unique point made that this form of art can promote tourism and interest in an area, like Lake Lseo. “The Floating Piers”, very different from typical art I’ve seen before, reminds me of how art can be interactive with its audience, and that’s it’s not just something to be appreciated solely for its looks. I would think that this sort of attraction would definitely make tourists and people alike more aware of this beautiful, less explored area in Italy. It’s a great way to bring outsiders in to see such a wonderous creation. Art serves so many purposes and this proves, to a great extent, how artists will never stop pushing its bounds and, quite literally, thinking big.

2. Maxwell Sternberg

Christo and Jeane-Claude exemplify two people who decided to think “outside of the box.” People like this use their minds to think and create things others would have never dreamed to be possible. The Lseo Lake project definitely interests me the most. Besides for the benefits this brings to these two obscure islands, walking on water just sounds so cool. The view and the experience make the artwork truly exceptional; and these two characteristics contribute greatly to this type of art. Fortunately, the Central Park work seems close enough to check out in the near future.

3. Vincent Gangemi

You said that the “The Floating Piers” project thought you how art can adjust a landscape and bring attention to a certain area. You may have overlooked some amazing pieces of arts. I would point to the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, the first known list of the most remarkable creations of classical era. Among them are the Great Pyramid of Giza and Temple of Artemis. Though some have been destroyed, the members of the list are prime examples of how art can improve the beauty of a general area.

4. sabrina

This is a great modern example that proves how architecture is art. By making art pieces interactive and large enough that can be part of people’s every day lives, this duo makes art more fun and meaningful because it’s not put in some museum to be stared at. Most people don’t even have the time or motivation to go to a museum to look at art. But being surrounded by these landscape art definitely makes up for this. It’s also very awesome and inspirational to be in the presence of a huge piece of artwork.

5. bensadighm

It’s so interesting how this “dynamic duo” came up with the idea of presenting art by making it a truly interactive experience. Instead of just looking at the art and enjoying the views from a distance, the Floating Piers project will allow people to be able to take an active role and get a (more) complete view of the nature that surrounds them. Besides the personal satisfaction that one may get from the “Floating Piers” artwork, people who visit in June (when the project is scheduled to open) will also be indirectly boosting the economy of this lesser known area– a true twofold achievement! Their creativity in this project impresses and intrigues me, and I wish I’d be able to visit!

6. matthewlam

I semi-remember actually going to the “The Gate” at Central Park when I was in elementary school. It was pretty interesting form of art because people got to walk through them, while experiencing the the natural beauty of Central Park. They were giving pieces of the orange material that was used to make “The Gate,” however I’ve completely lost it. The “Floating Piers” is something that is truly something else because it is very appealing to the eye and it is very practical. An artwork that provides appeal and allows people to connect is a dual-purpose artwork, which is rarely seen. These artworks must be massive and take a lot of time to put together, they are definitely very unique.

7. photographerkt18

What struck me the most is how Christo and Jeanne-Claude worked together for so long to bring their visions to life. Their bond really emphasizes that while art is usually individual form of self-expression, it can also serve as a link between two artists. Their idea to alter the landscape itself is really smart as well as creative. I admire their perseverance in order to get a license to construct the floating pathway at Lake Lseo; their resilience showcases how much Christo and Jeanne-Claude care about their work.

8. Brandon Green

I absolutely love the idea of Christo and Jeanne-Claude’s “The Floating Piers”. The project is not only art, but an incredibly clever solution to the problem of having to use boats to travel between the islands. It is such a shame that the project is temporary, I would love to travel to Italy to see this beautiful artwork and i’m sure that the locals would love for this to be a permanent solution for island travel.

9. Chris Angelidis

I really enjoyed the connection you made between art and economics. Many smaller European countries such as Italy rely upon tourism as an economic stimulus. According to one world data atlas, in Italy, tourism represents approximately 10% of the nations GDP. Specifically in smaller towns, this money is critical to the local economy as it impacts restaurants, hotels, stores, and museums. Art can be a great tool at attracting more tourists and thereby increasing their monetary contributions to the country. Keeping this in mind, I think that Christo’s floating piers will be a unique way of attracting more tourists, beautifying the landscape, and expressing himself. If I ever find myself in Italy, I would love to visit the work.

10. Ahmed Farooq

I find your initial comparison of large art and small art interesting. Art is, in Boris Maizel’s words, “very vague.” The artistic choice of size that any artist has is important and it becomes an important facet of their work. A ship-in-a-bottle compared to the 1000 ton tankers that we have in world today are both art but they convey intrinsically different messages. The microscopic boat conveys exactness and acuteness and elegance while the tanker conveys grandness and massiveness and monstrous.

11. chynellemenezes

I’m especially fascinated by the way they drew attention to the beauty of the landscape with their art. Greenery that might pass in a blur if you’re driving through the moments suddenly has an attraction that makes people stop and notice. I love how the art changes color throughout the day. It seems to represent the transience of nature and works with it instead of standing obstinately against the forces of nature. What a beautiful piece to bring to our attention!

12. ashleyskaria

Wow! This was a really interesting article. I never imagined art to function as something that can alter and improve landscapes. I would love to experience art this way because it embodies many different functions. You can have a physical connection with the art as it appears in a natural environment. This type of art seems so much different than art we may see in museums or on the streets of NYC. It can entail or encompass an everyday experience that is now transformed into something more.

13. johncasella

Whenever I’ve ventured into museums, I’ve always been able to enjoy the very small and microscopic art, but something I don’t get to see is very extensive pieces like “The Floating Piers.” Bridges are art in themselves, with all the detail that goes into their construction, but this walkway is truly something unique; for me, it puts a whole new perspective on the functionality of art in modern society. I wish I had the time and money to walk across this fantastic work, but I’m content in just knowing it exists. Lake Lseo is probably going to become a hot spot for travel very soon.

14. Zuzanna Osiecka

It must take a lot of creativity for artists such as Christo and Jeanne-Claude to come up with such great ideas. I think that adding artwork that ties in with the natural aesthetic of the environment enhances the natural beauty of the landscapes. As long as the art does not pose a threat to the environment or to the animals’ habitat, I believe that more artists should use resources such as lakes and mountains to make the world an even more beautiful place.

15. ireneyao

Its amazing what art has accomplished to this day. It comes in many forms and Christo and Jeanne-Claude are two amazing artists to who show the vast ranges of what art can do. By creating this bridge or walkway from one island to another, Christo has created a connection for the people living in both places. His artwork is now a perminent part of their lives and is making a different not only to the people but the landscape. Its great and beautiful to see what his art has accomplished and what it can accomplish.

16. Stella Kang

Before reading your article, I didn’t think much of large-scale artwork. Actually, whenever I would see large sculptures when I was younger, I would consider them more of a playground than art, and so I would usually try to climb whatever beautiful sculpture it was. However, the projects that you mentioned are even larger, and I think that if I didn’t read your article, I wouldn’t have experienced them as art. Rather, I would see them as decoration or a tourist attraction, but now I realize that art truly doesn’t have a scale. Even if it doesn’t exist in a gallery, with a frame, or a sectioned exhibition, it’s still art and it can take any platform and any environment and create something new. I will keep an eye out for art that is more public than just a painting, after reading your article.

17. borysshturman

This article really highlighted the potential power artworks hold. By just creating one art project, Christo and Jeanne-Claude were able to bring attention and interest into areas that needed loving. Their accomplishments helped change communities and connect people together. I also loved your initial comment about the scope art has. It could range from something so tiny a human eye can’t even see it to something as huge as the Statue of Liberty, art is a marvelous thing.