“The Secret World Inside You” Response

Art is made for many functions. Most obviously, art is meant to entertain. A pleasure to the audience, artwork arouses all types of emotions inside the mind of the people who are meant to enjoy it. Not only, though, is art used for viewer satisfaction, but it is also displayed as a form of education. In the New York Times article by William Grimes posted on November 5, 2015 titled, “Review: ‘The Secret World Inside You’ Explores the Microbial Human,” the author explains the new and unique exhibition at the Museum of Natural History that perfectly demonstrates the role that art plays as teacher of the public.

Not yet open for show, this exhibition features lifesize and interactive art on the microbiomes of the human body. An unfamiliar topic to the general individual, it offers insight into the trillions of bacteria that find their homes in the depths under people’s skin. With games and06JPSECRET4-master675  videos and physical depictions of the real-life bacterium available throughout this section of the museum, there is no shortage of things for people to do or to explore there. At the grand opening this Saturday, November 7th, “The Secret World Inside You” hopes to attract people of all ages. From parents to their children to curious teens, this world allows people to witness the biological wonders in our bodies that are usually invisible to the naked eye.

One example of something shown in this exhibit that particularly fascinates me depicts a beautiful scene covered in an assort06JPSECRET2-articleLargement of colored lights. Meant to depict the bacteria that can be found in natural settings, these lights bring a strangely alluring feeling to the room even though they represent something much less appealing to the mind. I’m sure this will be a big attraction. It is probably the easiest piece of work on the eye in the entire exhibit.

Ever since I first looked into the glass of a microscope, I have been astonished by what can been examined underneath. The movement of cell lines and bacteria and the colors of the dyes used on specimen creates a limited landscape of color within the boundaries of the magnified image. Each slide you put under the scope is its own and can never be recreated. And it’s also a tool that shows us things we cannot normally see.  It doesn’t surprise me now that someone is taking these images and this knowledge and presenting them as a creative and specific form of art. I hope to make it to this exhibit because I believe it brings a lot of appreciation to the human body, and combines science and art in a way similar to that of the Bodies Exhibit in Times Square. It’s a very interesting stretch on the field art that I could envision would appeal to a very broad audience because it is a display both visually appealing and mentally stimulating.

1. sabrina

I hope to go see this exhibit too Emily. Although science is not my favorite subject, I think I will enjoy going through the exhibition and actually learn. Interactive exhibits is a great and fun way to get students to be interested in history, science, etc., and excited especially when going to a museum. And, the new colors and technology will certainly catch anyone’s eyes. It’s amazing how art makes such an influence in a museum and is used to teach the public about other subjects.

2. Tan Yee Yeung

This combination of science and art is really fascinating. It is not only aesthetically pleasing but also educational. Younger children may not be as interested in the regular diagram and pictures of microbiomes of the human body. But when it is colorful, attractive and interactive, it is easier to capture their attention. This makes it easier for them to retain the information they learn from this exhibition.
    The room with the colorful lights that resembles bacterias in a regular setting is really intriguing. When we think of bacterias, we think of gross germs that harm our body. But when they are portrayed as these beautiful colorful twinkly lights it makes it seem less harmful. I’m not sure if that is a good thing because children might get the wrong idea that the bacterias from the ground is not as harmful as it is.

3. Maxwell Sternberg

Having taken AP Biology in high school, I must admit that this new exhibition seems surprisingly intriguing. The reason why I say surprisingly is because when it comes to going under the lens of the microscope, and delving deeper into the microorganism of the world, I start to get a bit freaked out. At the same time though, I believe this exhibition brings a more playful, and attracting experience to this incredible world. I hope to attend in the future, and hopefully find a new interest in this amazing subject.

4. Vincent Gangemi

Science has never been a strong suit of mine, however whenever learning becomes hands on it becomes much easier for me. I know many people have a similar learning style to mine and perhaps exhibits like “The Secret World Inside You” may inspire people who would have been turned off to it otherwise to become doctors. With all that said, it is hard for me to see this is art. Don’t get me wrong, you built a great explanation for why it is art, but I always have seen science as an opposite of art. Science is exact and objective where are art is personal and subjective.

5. Zhaolin (Jason) Tong

This particular exhibit sounds extremely creative in that it is combining art with science. The idea is innovative but from what I read, the method is wrong in going about this. I feel like there could be a better way to combine science and art, and make them interesting. Possibly making less realistic models and more artistic ones. I criticize the exhibit as it is now as too uncreative. Maybe I’m missing a part of the bigger idea…

6. johncasella

I’ve never been much of a science person, but this is really cool! Who would have thought that such a minuscule concept could be displayed on such a grand level? I think having the exhibit illuminated with all sorts of lights is genius because it really draws the viewer in. I know that if I was at a museum and there was an exhibit flashing with colors, I would be there in a heartbeat. Hopefully I’ll be able to attend this fascinating spectra of microbiomes and educate myself on a topic I’m unfamiliar with.

7. Zuzanna Osiecka

I think that this is a great idea for an exhibit. It could attract all kinds of people, from adults that have never been interested in science, to children currently learning these things in class. I believe that people learn things their whole lives, and this is definitely an exhibition that anyone could enjoy. Besides the educational aspect, it is also presented in a beautiful way that makes it worthwhile to even just look at. I would love to go see it myself.

8. Brandon Green

This is an awesome way to teach biology. My past experiences with biology have always ended with me hating it. The coursework consisted of memorizing a textbook and regurgitating the information onto a page for an exam, by the next year i’d forgotten almost all of what i’d memorized. I think that if I saw this exhibit when I was learning bio, it would have allowed me to be able to remember it to this day.

9. Chris Angelidis

Indeed nature can be very beautiful yet at certain times inaccessible. Without a microscope, the closest someone can come to understanding bacteria is through a textbook. For an everyday person however, this process can be extremely boring and tedious, draining all of the incentive from actually trying to learn. I think the Museum of Natural History is being very progressive in trying to capture nature’s beauty without boring their audience and without using complicated and expensive instruments. Truly, art is the best means of accomplishing this goal and making microscopic nature more accessible to the general public.

10. matthewlam

Too often we are taught through text books and never get to actually get to see or interact with what we learn. The Museum of Natural History is easing the learning process that allows people to learn quicker and more enjoyably; many people these days are often not fond of the sciences because they aren’t being taught correctly. Art is something that allows everyone to have their own interpretation of what is in front of them; when people are allowed to think on their own they are able to see science in a different light than before. When people are learning through actions, they are no longer forced to learn, but they are having fun and absorbing the information presented to them.

11. photographerkt18

I think it’s fascinating how art can be used to bring awareness about abstract things. Most of us know about bacteria, but we don’t really put our knowledge into perspective; sometimes it’s beyond our abilities to comprehend how much bacteria effects us to full extent since we don’t physically see it. Also, I like how the art is more interactive than traditional textbook and even videos. Seeing and doing are very different and I feel experiencing art in 3 dimensions is really powerful especially since it’s so closely related to our everyday lives.

12. borysshturman

It always cheers me up when artist combine science with artworks. Sometimes science gets a little mundane and needs a little help in making it more enjoyable to learn. Making interactive artworks that help teach microbiology is one of the best ways to make learning exciting again. There should be a movement to push for this type of incorporation of art and science in schools.

13. Ahmed Farooq

I find all informative attempts to teach people about the world around them are very important. At the same time though, I must concede the fact that I would not personally visit this exhibition because I am a little germaphobe and learning more about bacteria within me would just lead to my anxiety. Alejandro, a fellow Macaulay student conducted research on the bacteria present in the subways and after reading it I never wanted to ride a subway again.