Just Kids

There were rarely any parts of the book that I felt were boring or slow. Every chapter or page had an adventure in it. I really enjoyed reading about Patti Smith’s adventures as a growing artist. She left the comfort of her stable life with her parents to pursue what she wanted to do. She was able to meet so many influential artists that inspired her to do things she never would have done, like writing lyrics or singing. Originally Patti Smith wanted to be a poet but as she met more and more artists, they encouraged her to write lyrics, sing, and act. All of these experiences would not have been possible if she stayed with her parents and lived a sheltered and stable life.

Much of the focus of this book was about Robert Mapplethorpe so there aren’t as many details about Patti’s personal life away from Robert. Nevertheless, Patti really captured Robert’s personality and personal conflicts without commenting on them and making them judgmental. She was able to write about Robert and have the readers understand Robert’s ups and downs. Their unorthodox relationship worked so well and smoothly, which came as a huge surprise because I thought the ending would have ended with both of them filled with regrets. Patti comes off as a really understanding friend while Robert seems a bit lost and needs Patti’s support, which she willingly gives. Even until the end when Patti already had a family she would still take care of Robert, really demonstrating the strong bonds they have with each other, and the promises they made.

One thought on “Just Kids

1. I agree, Patti was able to live such a happy and exciting life because she moved out of her parents’ home and abandoned her stable life. It’s funny because many of us are living a sheltered and stable life. I mean, our tuition is paid for by Macaulay, so I would say we’re pretty stable. Imagine how exciting our lives would be if we all just became rogue artists like Patti and Robert, but of course I do not have the guts to do so, haha.