Feature Story: “Through My Window”

One might not necessarily associate such images nor such sounds with the busy city environment, however, contrary to such associations- this exhibit has found its home right in the middle of a major train station in New York City. Photography by Ahae was on display in Vanderbilt Hall of Grand Central Station from October 13th thru October 22nd.  This hall, which has been inhabited by scenes of nature for the past few weeks is that which connects Grand Central to 42nd street- an extremely vibrant and busy area of the city.  Ahae has captured incredible moments of the natural world, ranging in season, time of day and in various climates. Ahae has provided commuters and tourists alike with the opportunity to temporarily enter a world entirely different from that which they are presently in.

Although such images of frogs, herons and fluffy blankets of snow appear to be distinctively different from one another, those passer-byers that choose to visit this exhibit might be surprised to learn that the majority of such images have been taken from the same location. Ahae has taken one million photographs through one window during the span of two years, which ultimately resulted in the name of the exhibit: “Through My Window”.  Since Ahae takes approximately 2,000-4,000 photos daily, his collection is one that is sure to cater to a wide variety of interests.  This exhibit is ideal for those that are particularly interested in observing life in South Korea or perhaps those that simply want a momentary break from their busy days.

One might wonder why Ahae would choose Grand Central as the location for such an exhibit. His choice of location could perhaps be accredited to the fact that those that pass through Grand Central during the daily rush hour are often focused solely on reaching their destination, whether that be work, school or another event that requires one to arrive in a timely fashion. Perhaps Ahae has included a multitude of images of the natural world, such as a soothing landscape of a winter wonderland, to remind us to be more aware of our surroundings and to appreciate that which is around us.  Nature is indeed beautiful, and Ahae is successful in illustrating this concept by displaying photos that have not been altered by mankind.  Perhaps Ahae has contributed such photos as the heron perching on a frog to remind us of the incredible and intricate features of the natural world and therefore exposes us to a sample of a different type of environment from that we so quickly travel through daily.

One of the most appealing aspects of Ahae’s photography is the fact that his photography is inspired by his commitment to preserve the natural world. Although Ahae has indeed been involved in business affairs, his priority has been, and remains to be, his efforts to care for the environment. He remains intrigued by that which has not been touch nor affected by mankind and thus captures images of nature and the creatures that inhabit it.

What makes this exhibit particularly interesting is the advertising methods of the exhibit assistants. Rather than doing all they can to bring people into their exhibit, they present themselves in a respectful manner, willing to assist those that are truly interested in seeking information. Those that are willing to take time out of their hectic day to truly enjoy a moment in this exhibit are invited to do so, however  are not forced upon or impacted by external influences such as overpowering advertising.  This makes the photography even more special because those that attend are truly respectful and exhibit genuine interest. It was interesting to see the number of stressed commuters take a moment out of their busy day to truly enjoy the moment, which can be considered a rare occurrence in this world. This pleases me as I believe it is exactly what Ahae strived to do. His efforts extend beyond this to make us realize the desperate need for something to be done to protect our natural world, and in this sense, serves as an inspiration.

For weeks I, along with many other commuters, simply passed by this exhibit on my way to class. It was not until the last day the exhibit was on display that I made the worthwhile decision stop by and take a look. The curious passer-byer who might not seem to necessarily have the time to stop and view the grey heron perching on a frog or the intricate raindrops dropping from the sky, may actually benefit from a visit to Ahae’s “Through My Window”.  Ahae “wants to open everyone’s eyes to be able to see the wealth of life that is right there besides them” (Ahae.com: Pamphlet) and this could perhaps be accomplished by stopping to appreciate and view such photography. Although a visit to this exhibit required me to take a later train home from grand central, I am confident that it was both worthwhile and meaningful as it made me far more aware and appreciative of the natural world that I would otherwise not be exposed to.

A sample of Ahae's work of beautiful autumn leaves

A sample of Ahae's work of capturing animals in their natural habitats

Picture of the brochure of the exhibit: Through My Window

Ahae's gallery in Grand Central

Sources:
Research from:
Pamphlet: Ahae.com. Through My Window. Photography by Ahae.

Photos from:
AHAE. Web. 25 Oct. 2011. <http://ahae.com/artist/>

“Snapshots | Photographmag.” Photographmag.com :: the Online Home of Photograph. Web. 25 Oct. 2011. <http://www.photographmag.com/snapshots>.