Dimensions of Sculpture: Material

Sculpture is a form or expression where the artist attempts to portray his or her work on a three-dimensional platform. The quantity mediums through which this is possible is endless. Sculptures can be made of clay, stone, marble, even paper. Almost any material can be used for sculpture, under the discretion of the artist. However, viewers usually examine the symbol that the sculpture portrays, rather than how the material contributes to the expression of said sculpture. Will Ryman took it upon himself to add symbolism to the materials that he used in his sculpting works.

In her article, “Will Ryman Prepares His New Exhibition at Paul Kasmin Gallery”, Hilarie M. Sheets describes previous and current art work of Will Ryman, a former playwright and a current sculptor who has chosen to emphasize the material that he uses toAmerica-provides-an-in-depth-exploration-into-the-history-of-the-United-States-through-a-careful-selection-and-arrangement-of-materials in his art as a way of incorporating a narrative to his work. For example, his sculpture “America” is a cabin of gold leaf that is meant to resemble the childhood log cabin Abraham Lincoln. The walls and floors of the cabin are lined with materials that either influenced or influences the American economy, such as tobacco, slavery shackles, iPhones, and cotton. In this way,
Ryman tells a story in still motion, and attempts to convey a history in one scene.

14-will-rymanI feel that it is absolutely fascinating how an artist can take every aspect of his work and manipulate it to convey more than what it actually is. For example, “The Situation Room” is a sculpture that, as Sheets’ wrote in the article, “reacted photograph of President Obama and his inner circle of advisors watching from the White House as the covert Navy SEAL operation to kill Osama Bin Laden unfolded on Pakistani soil in real time.” Ryman chose to dust a layer of coal over the sculpture because of how it is a resource that has fueled many wars and instances of violence. In the article, it was mentioned that Ryman thought that the photograph of Obama was a clear form of propaganda, and so his sculpture was meant to recreate the image without the influence it was meant to have. I think that this added symbolism to his works gives an entirely different dimension to his portrayal of such a significant moment in our history

I had never looked an sculpture and thought, even for a second, about how the materials that were used could offer a story to sculpture itself. Even with examples from ancient civilizations, the materials used for artwork could allude to goods that were considered valuable or  resources that were plentiful in a particular region of the globe. In terms of modern art, the materials that an artist choses to use can mean more than just a medium, as clearly proven by Ryman’s work.

1. sabrina

I really liked reading your blog post because it opened my mind and my perspective about sculptures which honestly, in my opinion, is not as fascinating to me as other kinds of art such as paintings. But, like you said, “sculpture is a form or expression where the artist….portrays his or her work on a three-dimensional pattern”. It was always hard for me to see that because of the sculptures I usually had to study or thought about – the Greek and Roman sculptures which were made out of stone or marble. And, like many other people, I never really thought about the material used to make or create the sculptures. However, the materials can be used to “offer a story” – as you said – to the people looking at the sculptures which is definitely something to look more into.

2. Maxwell Sternberg

I am truly captivated by the way in which Will Ryman goes about sculpting his works. I believe that great artists place meaning in every small detail of their art, and Ryman is certainly succeeding in doing so. “America”, the piece which you discussed of Ryman’s fascinates me. I find it so cool that Ryman had the mind to think of such great symbolism when creating this work. In the future, it seems to me that great sculptors should utilize the technique of Ryman to bring greater significance to the field of sculpting.

3. Vincent Gangemi

I never thought that materials could be used symbolically either. Your article was quite an interesting read. It begs the question if we should always consider what sculptures are made of. In some situations, an artist may lack materials necessary to use symbolically. In the circumstance do you believe we should discuss the artist’s material choice?

4. bensadighm

Art is a very engaging activity. There is so much to consider when looking at artwork, and sculptures are definitely not an exception! The audience has to consider so many variables when looking at artwork- like the historical/cultural context, the subject, color choice, the artist’s technique/style and of course the materials used. As you said, the mediums through which a sculpture can be endless. Ryman definitely utilizes these mediums to his benefit… using various materials to help convey the fuller picture. In the piece you discussed, “The Situation Room”, it’s really interesting to see his choice of material and how it can impact the whole representation of the artwork! I like the way you phrased how the materials can “offer a story” because the materials truly do add a whole new level to our understanding of art.

5. Chris Angelidis

Stella, I really enjoyed how you alluded to the fact that sculpture can be interpreted as a reflection of society at a given time. I had previously only regarded sculpture in term of its subject, but the medium it is created out of too can pose great significance. The sculpture you mentioned of Lincoln’s log cabin is a prime example of this. While one could superficially admire the log cabin as a recreation of Lincoln’s childhood home, further analysis of the medium can provide insight to new meaning. The golden leaf might look pretty, but it could also be a reference to the legacy left behind by Lincoln’s actions during his presidency which led to a gilded age in American society just as the gold leaves quite literally gild the sculpture.

6. dami

Like you, I am fascinated by how Ryman was able to incorporate a certain symbolism through the material he used in his sculptures. I use to think that the material that a person uses in a sculpture is obsolete, but after reading your post, I think that the material one uses can actually better define the art work. This kind of reminds me an art show where all of the show pieces were made out of trash to show people how useful trash could be and to get people to recycle. I would also love to see some of Ryman’s art works in real life.

7. anthonychen715

I thought it was interesting as well from the article’s perspective that a sculpture’s composition can exemplify a whole new meaning to the work of art. The artist him/herself must be very thoughtful of what materials they must choose to best represent their view on a certain topic in society. The way they express themselves is formed through this tangible type of work, which draws the viewer into it. I feel that sculptures are sometimes more “realistically” relatable compared to a single painting.

8. Zuzanna Osiecka

I found it fascinating how artists can add meaning to their work in so many ways. The meaning of the material that a sculpture is made of has never occurred to me as something worth analyzing. Reading about this has given me a whole new outlook on art. I have figured that “The Situation Room”, the sculpture of President Obama and his advisors, is a form of propaganda, but I think it is so clever of Ryman to cover the sculpture with a layer of coal “because of how it is a resource that has fueled many wars and instances of violence”.

9. borysshturman

I loved the idea of making an artwork three dimensional. Not only does it arm the artist with so many more artistic tools, It also adds so much more meaning to what is trying to be portrayed by him/her. I was actually looking into another from of three dimensional artwork for my blog post too.

10. ireneyao

It’s a very unique perspective in which you portray your view of Will Rymans artwork. I normally do not take into account the materials that are used in creating sculptures, or any works of art. It amazes me how an artists perspective and thoughts can be displayed through not only the overall picture that is shown but also through materials that are used. I believe that the materials in which and artists uses also shows a different way in which the artist may have meant to portray a sculpture and what obstacles or roads the artists took to bring out the final outcome. This is a very new point of view that I will look forward to exploring when I visit museums and look at sculptures thanks to this article about Will Rymans artwork and his different way of showing what he wants to show us.

11. johncasella

Sculptures have always been one of my favorite art forms, but I never thought to characterize the materials used as symbolic; this was very eye opening. The history and story each sculpture contains, especially the examples you listed, are quite remarkable. And the fact that sculptures are three-dimensional makes the work feel so much more palpable, and the story that much more gripping. The next time I go to a museum, I will not only survey a sculpture by face value, but also the material it is so carefully crafted out of.

12. ashleyskaria

I never really appreciated the art form that is sculptures. As someone mentioned previously, I always associated it with Greek or Roman Gods. The point you made about a sculpture’s materials contributing to the meaning of piece itself is interesting and understandable. I feel as though every decision an artist makes is calculated and significant. Ryman’s choice to use a layer of coal over the sculpture, “The Situation Room” is genius.