The American Children

Original

Poor

Rich

1. anthonychen715

Ahmed, your three variations really enraptured the current economic situation America is in. You either work hard to achieve a somewhat false sense of social mobility, are born in a wealthy family, or suffer through an impoverish lifestyle. I can tell that the original Sargent portrait of the children represent the two opposing stands in society today. The angles at which you took each photo also symbolized your views. The car in the last picture could mean that there may be a way in the near future for the lower classes to move forward in their lives.

2. Chris Angelidis

Ahmed, I really like how you dissected Sargent’s content when creating your variations. Sargent’s models were two upperclass children presumably raised in a traditional household with the support of a caring mother as was typical of the time. Your modern comparison and contrast of this household forces the audience to address the impact of childhood environment on later socioeconomic status. While it is very easy to dismiss someone who is homeless as lazy, often times they had a harder situation to deal with at home than someone who was raised in a more stable household. Your final sketch really sums up this conflict by juxtaposing a homeless man with a BMW which I really enjoyed. I was also really impressed with the quality of the sketch. Good Job.

3. Brandon Green

Ahmed, I like that you took this project in a different direction then the rest of us and told a story. I find our downward-looking perspective on the poor subject very powerful, both it and the fact that the subject is not looking at us makes me feel as if I am superior to him. At the same time, the lateral perspective of the picture of you and your car makes me feel like i can relate to you as if we are equals.

4. borysshturman

I loved what you did to the original artwork. You extracted a main idea for the original and you applied it to the modern day problems with society. You did a great job in capturing what you were trying to say. I completely agree that the grow disparity between social classes is becoming a major problem.

5. borysshturman