Creative Project 1: La Carmencita (1890)

The first variation is a photo-edit of an Indian dancer in my old classical dance group – edited with a paintbrush effect + placed on top of a dark backdrop. The second and third variations are action shots of my friend and her sister doing classical Indian dances during a recital.

Sargent's Original: La Carmencita

Sargent’s Original: La Carmencita – Spanish dancer

Classical Indian Oddisi Dance - Variation 1

Classical Indian Oddisi Dancer – Variation 1

Classical Indian Kathak Dance - Variation 2

Classical Indian Kathak Dancer – Variation 2

Classical Indian Bharata Dancer: Variation 3

Classical Indian Bharata Dancer – Variation 3

1. Stella Kang

I think your variations are a beautiful blend between culture and portraiture. I think that it’s interesting how well the traditional dancers fit with the original painting. And I think that speaks on how dance and art are universal and expand over cultural boundaries. And also, I feel like the original portrait was meant to convey a standard of beauty, and your variations showed beauty in a different culture. I also enjoy how the colors of your variations are so vibrant, especially when Sargent’s paintings usually pertain to a muted color scheme. It provides a very bold characteristic to your variations, which I really enjoy.

2. dami

I think your takes on Sargent’s portrait is very interesting. I liked how you incorporated your own background and culture into your variation of the portraits. I noticed that you kept the color scheme of yellow throughout your variations which is very apparent. I also enjoyed the flashy hand gestures that you included in each one of your variations.

3. Zuzanna Osiecka

I love how you were able to relate Spanish and Indian culture. It really shows the similarities between the two. Although every country has its own traditional wear it is clear that all three of the women are dancers. I love the editing that you did on the first variation, you made it look like a painting when it is really a photograph.