Ellen Terry as Lady Macbeth + Adaptations

When you view the photos, please click on them. It will show you all the details of my adaptations. Thank you! 🙂

Ellen Terry as Lady Macbeth 1889 by John Singer Sargent 1856-1925      FullSizeRender 3

FullSizeRender 2

1. janaabumusallam

Your interpretation of the model as Emojis really represents the distinct difference between our time period and Sargent’s. His medium was paint, and yours was picture-text. It’s a truly interesting interpretation and I can tell that you spent a lot of time thinking about what was contemporary enough to portray this painting in a new light. I really think your variations are very interesting. I also really like the different textural elements that you used in your variations.

2. photographerkt18

This is the best thing I’ve ever seen!!!! First of all I’d like to say I admire how much work you put into this. Using emojis to redraw Lady Macbeth is pure genius. It not only contrasts the difference in time periods, but also shows your style as an artist.

3. Stella Kang

I really like your variations incorporate such a prominent version of expression in modern society. I feel as though today, it’s so uncommon to eliminate emoji’s from colloquial communication. And so I really enjoy how you incorporated them so fluidly into the portraits, especially in such a detailed and beautiful way. And I think adding a narrative to your variations through the instagram post brought the use of the emojis together. Not only by recreating the portrait with only emojis, but reenacting Sargent with emojis. I think it was a really beautiful way of blending Sargent’s portraiture with modern society.

4. dami

I enjoyed your variation of the original Ellen Terry as Macbeth portrait. I think your modern take on the portrait using emojis is very appropriate and reflects the modern craze with emojis. I also think your last variation with the labelling of the parts of the body is yet another reference to the modern chat language. A lot of the time I feel like I do not understand what people are saying online when they use internet slang which is why I think your labelling of the parts for clarification is very necessary.