“Equality, Then What? New Plays Explore Modern Gay Life” Response

Our world has come a long way, and with the recent Obergefell v. Hodges case where the United States Supreme course decided that the fundamental right to marry is guaranteed to same-sex couples, even more change has followed, and so has theatre. In the article “Equality, Then What? New Plays Explore Modern Gay Life”, Alexis Soloski writes of the changes in gay playwriting, specifically the differences between the pre and post-equality movement. With same-sex marriages now accepted, gays and lesbians are not as much of outsiders as they were prior. And since the hardships gay people faced pre-equality differ from the hardships they now face as an “accepted” community (accepted by law, at least), play writers felt a need to focus on a more modern view of what it’s like to live as a same-sex couple (specifically male couples) today.

1108POSTGAY1-articleLarge

The playwrights Peter Parnell, left, and Mark Gerrard.

Gay play writers Mark Gerrard and Peter Parnell each have written plays, “Steve” and “Dada Woof Papa Hot” respectively, that are “distinctive less for their subject matter than for what they don’t contain”. Pre-equality plays usually highlighted the difficulties and perils that same-sex couples faced, with plots often including trauma, the distress of having to “hide in the closet”, threat of AIDs, and even self-loathing. “Steve”, opening November 18th, is a comic drama that highlights the anxieties of a post-equality couple raising a son conceived with a surrogate. “Dada Woof Papa Hot”, opening Noveber 9th, is a play about a married same-sex couple trying to navigate the relatively new territory of gay marriage and gay parenthood. Soloski adds the “plots and aguments that defined de
cades of gay playwriting (at least playwriting by and about white men) aren’t present.”

1108POSTGAY3-articleLarge

A scene from “Steve”

1108POSTGAY2-articleLarge

A scene from “Dada Woof Papa Hot”

That’s not to say that plays about same-sex couples have not existed before, just that they’re different. Plays like “Next Fall” by Geoffrey Nauffts and “Mothers and Sons” by Terrence McNally, are also about contemporary gay life, but the plays of Gerrard and Parnell are of a “post-equality moment”, focusing less on the difference than on the troubles with assimilation. Whereas the characters in Nauffts and McNally’s plays are called up to fight for tolerance and recognition, the characters in Parnell and Gerard’s plays are “too busy looking for great love and great sex and trying to get the kids to school on time”.

Obviously this whole article highlights the change in society, and specifically change that has played into the realms of theatre. Change is inevitable. But I question whether all change is good. While I know that people accept change because usually it means its better, I don’t really know how I feel about the change in technology. We (and I know I’m not the first to say this) have become so reliant on technology. Of course, technology has had many positive effects, but I think that the technology of today has allowed us to become so self-sufficient that I fear the risk that we are missing out on important social interactions. People are so social on their handheld devices, that they’ve almost become anti-social. Technology has made it so easy to not have social interaction. Seamless, an online food ordering service, even had an advertisement in the Subway that read “Over 8 million people in New York City, and we help you avoid them all.” Even Starbucks has started a pilot project where they would charge a $2.00 transaction fee to deliver your Starucks order, so you don’t have to go downstairs and “risk” the chance of talking to people.
images-1

images

Seamless advertisement in Subway

At the end of the article, Gerarrd asked, a little anxiously, “What is it going to look like when
we’re grandparents? Because that doesn’t exist yet”. When I read that, I was able to truly appreciate the “new-ness” of this change in theatre. Just like the “new-ness” of same-sex marriages, so exists a “new-ness” in the technological advances of our time. There’s such a divide between our grandparents’ age and our age. So its true: our world has truly changed. In both cases (same-sex marriages and advances in technology) has been welcomed and somewhat accepted by the public. I too, welcome the idea of change, but I think that in regards to technology, society may be a bit too accepting.

1. Stella Kang

I didn’t realize, until reading your article, that there was a difference between pre-equality and post-equality gay relationships. But that distinction is very clear with your description of “Dada Woof Papa Hot”. I believe that when equality is achieved legally, the next step is societal equality, which is much harder to achieve, yet is often more fulfilling. When I put myself in the shoes of a gay woman, who is legally married as of recently and trying to raise a kid with her significant other, I can only imagine the fear and uncertainty that she might feel. Because the structure of her life is not accepted everywhere, and so it adds a layer of opposition to the actions that she may choose to take. That being said, I feel like plays such as “Dada Woof Papa Hot” can help bring that issue up in a coffeeshop, and perhaps spark change on a societal level. This change I would gladly accept, however, I do agree with you in that some change isn’t as pleasant, especially with technology.

2. Zuzanna Osiecka

I agree with you that some changes are good, like the equality movement, Although not everyone agrees with the newly implemented law, I believe that society is slowly starting to accept gay men and women marrying and forming families. When I read about the post-equality plays I immediately thought of Modern Family, a show in which two married men adopt a baby. The show also exposes the struggles and hardships of raising a family, just with two male dads rather than a traditional version of a mom and dad.

3. Ahmed Farooq

To touch upon the first part of your essay, I must say that this change in theatre is remarkable because as a society we need to show our acceptance towards all people. In this day and age, I believe that no one should have to be treated as an “outsider” if they are loving ordinary citizens. As the world progresses, we realize than any oppression that is prevalent in society, no matter how justified it is presently, will eventfully be overturned. We should embrace change for the better rather than hinder its influence.