Entering the Union Square Theatre, on 100 East 17th Street, I was extremely keen on what I was about to experience. As I made my way into the relatively small, and quaint theatre I had no prior knowledge of what was ahead of me. Handing my ticket over to be scanned, I realized I had just made a trade—the usher had handed me a red clown nose. Consequently, this only added to my confusion. When I sat in my seat, I could hear a song playing over the speakers. Quickly pulling out my phone, I “shazamed” the song, and discovered it was “Did You Ever See A Dream Walking?” by Bing Crosby. So at least I had myself a time period: the 1930’s.

The 39 Steps is a melodramic novel written by John Buchan in 1915. Twenty years later, in 1935, the famed Alfred Hitchcock transformed the novel into an adventurous film. It was not until much later, in 1995, that the former novel and film made its way to the theatre. Shortly after, an adaptation was created by Patrick Barlow in 2005. After being performed much throughout Europe, primarily in England, the play made its way across the Atlantic to the Untied States in 2008; however, it would be named Alfred Hitchcock’s The 39 Steps. The play put on display at Union Square Theatre simply goes by 39 Steps.

After sitting through the 100-minute play (excluding a 20-minute intermission), I realized what an adventure I had just experienced. The play itself is a comical, yet thrilling production that takes place in 1935 Great Britain. The protagonist, Richard Hannay, is a middle-aged man who begins the play introducing himself to the audience. From there, Hannay spends the play trying to decipher the “39 Steps,” and in doing so, also tries to foil a spy ring that has already infiltrated his home country. Throughout the many adventures Hannay endures, the audience is introduced to an endless number of characters, who play minor to crucial roles in the plot. Additionally, embedded within the plot are many references and allusions towards previous works of Hitchcock’s. This certainly keeps the audience deeply intrigued, and hysterically laughing at each instance. By the time one gets to the intermission, one will notice the audience members discussing the various Hitchcock references they ultimately caught onto. The several allusions are at times obscure, and at other times extremely apparent. Though many may argue that the 39 Steps is a theatrical production paying homage to Alfred Hitchcock, and all his accomplishments, in fact, 39 Steps is also a creative and inventive play, that produces humor and sensation—this is accomplished using only four cast members.

Yes, that is correct. Four cast members make up the entire set of performers. Director Maria Aitken, does this very astutely, and at times even utilizes it to her advantage. The finite set of players demands quick-changes, various accents, and a fast paced movement, sometimes all within a single scene. Aitken is able to execute this without ever confusing the audience. Though several scenes may get very hectic, the audience reacts in awe as everything has a sense of comical improvisation.

The one cast member who has a consistent and permanent role throughout is Robert Petkoff, who plays the role of Richard Hannay. Petkoff, who has acted in productions of Hamlet, Fiddler on the Roof, Romeo and Juliet, and many more, did the most gratifying job one could think of. Hannay endures adventure after adventure; he is all tied up in the most ridiculous and amusing circumstances, Petkoff strikes the perfect balance between a man of macho enthusiasm, and a leisure citizen– who is unfortunately caught in a pickle being chased by British and Scottish police, while trying to save the country from imminent danger.

The several female characters who play the foils, or at times allies and catalysts to Hannay, are played by Barrie Kreinik. Kreinik, who also has experience performing in Romeo and Juliet and Fiddler on the Roof, is a much less experienced player—and this is evidently present. Between her inaccurate and indecipherable accents, and her overemotionally overwhelming scenes, Kreinik consistently confuses and frustrates the audience. The scenes where she plays a major role seem to lack the laughter and amusement the audience is incessantly craving.

To make up for this shortfall, Billy Carter and Cameron Pow are cast as Clown #1 and Clown #2, respectively; and to say they are anything but incredible would be inaccurate. These two make 39 Steps what it is meant to be: a comedic adventure that keeps the audience laughing and in complete wonderment throughout. Carter and Pow transition through too many characters to count, and for each, their accent, emotion, movement, and timing are as near perfect as one can get. It is safe to say that each time these two hit the stage, the crowd is immersed in hysterical laughter, and at a certain point are expecting and predicting their greatness.

A big reason these two were so successful is due to Christine Goldman, the Prop Master, and Peter McKintosh, the Scenic and Costume Designer. Both did an incredible job at putting in place the tools needed to successfully cast the many animate and inanimate characters/objects the cast members play throughout.

Additionally, Mic Pool, sound designer, and Kevin Adams, Lighting Designer—who won Tony and Drama Desk Awards for his lighting of 39 Steps—create an environment that parallels the ever-changing scenery and situations throughout. Simultaneously, both these designers never distract the audience from the actual plot, playing the stage in an unobtrusive, yet faultless manner.

All in all, 39 Steps will take you through a comical thrill that has you at the edge of your seat, either waiting for who Carter or Pow will metamorphose into next, or the next upcoming allusion to one of Hitchcock’s previous works; just to name a few, the ones I noticed myself were The Birds, Vertigo, and Psycho. As other audience members proudly revealed, there are a multitude of others to be discovered.

Walking out onto 17th Street, I felt a lot more satisfied and less bemused than when I walked in. Well, except for those red clown noses. Maybe, it was just another reference to the works of Hitchcock. Or maybe it was a way to symbolize the humorous, entertaining, and dramatic ride one was just subject to. Whichever you choose, 39 Steps will certainly not disappoint.