Travers Park is named in memory of Thomas J. Travers (1897-1958), a prominent Queens Democrat and Jackson Heights community leader. He served on many committees for St. Joan of Arc Church, devoted countless hours to the Catholic Youth Organization, and helped to organize the Jackson Heights Sandlot Baseball League. Travers was an active member of the Jackson Heights Taxpayers Association and the Queensborough Chamber of Commerce. He served as Democratic District Leader for Woodside-Jackson Heights from 1940 until his death in 1958. The park was named for Travers in that year by the City Council. The new park featured play equipment for younger children and a variety of athletic facilities for shuffleboard, softball, basketball, volleyball, paddle tennis, shuffle board, and handball. On cold winter days, the rollerskating area was flooded for use as an ice skating rink. Benches, trees, shrubs, and a parkhouse made the park a comfortable place to sit and rest. In 1995 Council Member John D. Sabini funded the $531,000 reconstruction of Thomas J. Travers Park. The park was dramatically transformed with new spray showers, trees, benches, picnic and game tables, security lighting, and play equipment for tots and older children. The basketball courts were refurbished, and the roller hockey court was repaved.