South Street Seaport Salsa

Not everyone is born with the rhythm required to salsa, but if you had stood there with me that night, you’d beg to differ. Men and women from every walk of life moved smoothly around the boardwalk, an innocuous and bumpy dance floor. If you decided to follow the movements of any one couple, you’d probably think they were professionals. Everyone moved to the beat of the music with such energy and fine-tuned precision. At the same time, anyone who chose to enter the throng of dancers was welcome; you weren’t required to look good, but to enjoy. That was the beauty of it, once you ventured in, you were pulled into that world, stepping to the beat as if the music could speak to instinct deep inside you.

One thought on “South Street Seaport Salsa

1. I wish I was there with you! I have always been intrigued by salsa. The sensual beat to the music and spicy dance movements always seem to separate and distinguish salsa from other forms of dance. When I watch other people dance, I tend to marvel at their grace and rhythm. Many dancers make dancing look effortless, when it is everything but. As a result, many people seem to hesitate when asked to dance, trying not to look like a graceless fool, especially when the focal point is focused on the dance floor. The South Street Seaport Salsa that you attended seemed to break down these barriers between the skilled and unskilled dancers, allowing both to be captivated by that one single moment and just dance.