Review number.

As a New Yorker, you have probably been there at least couple of times. The museum is interactive (and actually art in itself), and there are always seem to be the same exhibitions, but they are not, they just can’t be. The museum is mostly free, and many different events are held there everyday. But I will review only one of these.

The event maker is I.K., who has been doing that kind of thing for 7 years now. The interactive installation was called “Regatta” and held near the Sheepshead Bay on September 17th.

So, yeah, that was a boat race. It was a silent installation of power and feelings. What a state of mind!

It was cloudy and extremely freezing. The sailing race begun, but the ocean has it’s own notion about speed and doesn’t take the excitement and exhaustion of rapid movement as an answer. The thinking is a tool here. (ART AND THINKING)

How do you feel when it’s not only you who moves around exhibitions, but they move all around you?

I closed my eyes (the sea sucks energy out of you, but what can one expect), and when an image appeared before my eyes and they were opened, there was a Cargo Ship. The exhibition carrying thousands colorful boxes, pieces of art. The exhibition in the exhibition. What was inside of each box (oh, forget about China for a second)? Boxed stories.

I won’t exaggerate my role making a sailor out of myself; I was just a moving load. But it doesn’t deprive me of feelings. What Joseph Conrad described so vividly feasting reader’s mind is indeed gets engraved there forever.  The waves running into the yacht’s boards – what colors, what moves! People know Monet (I, personally, love his works), but who are interested in the subjects he painted? Having read all that great writing inspired by the sea, have you ever thought of going there to get the real experience?

It leads me to the question, what was this particular event about? The Sea holds many, but this one was about the experience, paying attention the Surrounding.  So, I’ve undergone it, what’s next? Nothing.  But look at the picture of a pond, which you have never seen in the real life, and look at the picture of mountains you have seen, see the difference? This way one doesn’t just stare at the mountains; he or she looks at how an artist presented it. I have seen ponds, but Monet’s! The thought about silty dark ponds commits to the suicidal path, and here the Painting steps onto the “welcome” rug, reaching to the bell.

Dark blue and green waves, grey sky, and material air get mixed to the one. That’s where the great Surrounding starts. Even though it was a race, there is not much to do on the small yacht (especially when your job is just moving yourself from the one board to another, and suddenly you start to pay more attention to the things around. It has always been there, but till you noticed it hadn’t existed. Look, and – oh boy; the Art just jumps at you from here, there, and everywhere! Your job is to catch the fish and cook before eating; hope you haven’t forgotten your rod at home.

The right turn. I jump up and creep over to the other side of the boat. The Sea spits at me for being too slow.  Now I am not only cold, but also wet. And there I see them: standing in the row, so proud and lone.  The houses…an there the fishing line gets torn.

We came second. The intention got realized only for 83.4% this time. It was actually good, what was not  – mostly spectators didn’t seem to appreciate the Surroundings or experience so much. It was custom, common, usual, even cheesy. People always told to appreciate what they have, look around, start new life. But are those advisors following their advice? Don’t think so.

Back. The Sea is one of the most visited museums in the world; it was reviewed by the best writers, visited by the best men and women. Its exhibitions are local and international. They are held in pursuit of happiness, thirst for money, exhaustion, or love for what Joseph Conrad called “country”. These are the greatest and most natural installations of all. The craving for the Sea was expressed by may, let’s take the “Knocking on the Heaven’s Door” movie, the Sea is something everybody must see regardless of the “artfulness” of a person.

The last thing I want to say is – have a seashell at home. It’s the best kind of a souvenir you could have from a museum – it’s a part of the sea, you could hear the story of its ancestor told through the shell; calm or wild, heavy or uproarious – who can tell, but you?