Second week of Haikus

Doubt is a force

That corrupts the hearts of many

and can destroy us all.

—–

Faith is something

Found within the heart, it is

discovered, not created.

—–

The fight for atonement

The search for a sense of identity

The leap of faith.

—-

The struggle within

To find truth and happiness

It never ends.

—-

Life is bitter-sweet.

You never know when you will

be happy or hurt.

—-

Inexplicable phenomenon,

Are they destiny?

Or cause and effect?

3 thoughts on “Second week of Haikus

1. In all your haikus you pose deep philosophical questions about life, suffering, and the struggle to find your identity. For example, in the fourth haiku you talk about the difficulty of finding the balance between truth and happiness. In life what is true is not necessarily the site of joy. The questions that you pose in the last line of the haiku are very effective in making the reader reflect. I think I enjoy the last haiku the most (I see Professor Reily’s lectures inspired you). It seems that your haikus are based off of the one before. For example, in the haiku about cause and effect, you continue the theme by talking about life. In the next haiku you build off the idea about being “happy or hurt,” with the “struggle to find truth and happiness” The haikus are different from what I have noticed because usually people (including myself) write about what is happening in their lives at the moment. I like that your haikus are very insightful and perhaps represent your own quest to find the meaning of life and develop your identity.

2. When I read your haikus I got a very cynical and melancholic mood. For example, in the first haiku you state that “doubt is a force that corrupts the hearts of many.” In another haiku you say that the “struggle” never ends. The tone is hopeless but accepting because you accept that its the case. There doesn’t seem to be a correlation between the haiku and your week of photos at first glance. However, I think there is a connection between them because in your haikus you express uncertainty, you want to find the meaning of life. In the pictures of the school supplies mess it represents your confusion about what the meaning of life is and now it seems that you have gotten to the point in your life where you want to look through the rummage to find the answer.