Creative Assignment #1: Ada Rehan

John Singer Sargent (American, Florence 1856–1925 London) Ada Rehan, 1894–95 American, Oil on canvas; 93 x 50 1/8 in. (236.2 x 127.3 cm) The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, Bequest of Catharine Lasell Whitin, in memory of Ada Rehan, 1940 (40.146) http://www.metmuseum.org/Collections/search-the-collections/12026

Original: ADA REHAN by John Sargent Singer

photo

version 1

photo

version 2

Screen Shot 2015-09-27 at 5.58.20 PM

version 3

1. Maxwell Sternberg

I completely accept your contemporary connection. I cannot think of anything more appropriate when looking at your first and third versions. In a time where social media is a driving force in our world, and magazines are still very popular, the original piece has truly transitioned in time. I also like the second version of your work. I feel as if you stripped the original painting down to its basics, and showed it for what it really is. This is a very nice way of taking the audience behind the scenes of what the artist originally intended to portray.

2. janaabumusallam

Your interpretations were completely contemporary, and might I add hilarious. The way you connected the original painting with your different versions was very interesting. You can clearly recognize the contemporary designs that you took inspiration from, and the props you replaced from the painting to your variations were modern enough to be understood by people living in the present-day.

3. johncasella

Let me start by saying the Kim Kardashian adaptation cracked me up! I found the different versions of the original portrait to be captivating, fascinating, and interesting; you really drew me in! The stark difference between the original and the three new pieces was absolutely stunning. Your adaptations also shed light on how different society treats women. In Sargent’s time, a woman was expected to be conservative and take care of the home, but luckily now in the 21st century a woman has the liberty to do anything a man can do, which is how it should be. This is clearly shown through all three versions of the original painting, especially 2 and 3.