Heartbeats

Director: Ahmed

Film Crew: Brandon and Ahmed

Composer: Chris Angelidis

Editor: Chris Angelidis

1. Tan Yee Yeung

I like how the beginning and the end is the same. It both starts off with the hospital sign. But the feeling before and after is completely different. At the beginning the sign, hospital, brings forth the feeling of hope and recovery, but at the end the sign gives off the feeling death and unjust.
    It is interesting how the doctor decides to chase after his victim in broad daylight at someone else’s lawn. It really shows how tough and thug he is. Especially with the scene where the car’s engine was roaring.
    I feel like when the doctor shot down the victim, there should be a scene where he actually takes the heart. It is kind of ambiguous in the video where the heart came from.

2. anthonychen715

Chris, Ahmed, and Brandon, I enjoyed the video very much. It was creative in how you expanded upon what you guys displayed in class. The music used really set the tone in the situation, along with the persistent heartbeats in the background. The chase after Ahmed for the new heart was hilarious. Overall it was a great spin off Spring Awakening, how losing someone can never be regained back, but you guys fantasized a new scenario.

3. Maxwell Sternberg

Bravo! This video was really amazing. I very much enjoyed the entire plot and the dramatic feeling it had throughout. I especially enjoyed the part how the video begins and ends with the doctor leaving how he entered– I feel that gave a sense of the plot coming to a full circle, yet the exit made me feel some unease. One cannot just forget about the life sacrificed in exchange for another. This proves to be a prevalent problem today with many deciding if one thing is more important than another, and how to deal with it.

4. bensadighm

It was very interesting to see how you guys were able to take the skit from class and add certain elements (music, change of scenery, props) to make it into a more developed scene. I was particularly interested in how the background music was able to enhance my understanding of the clip, and it really helped focus my feelings throughout the different scenes. In the beginning the music was gradually building up suspense, and finally slowed down as the heart rate went down. Then when the rock music came on, there was more of an “edgier” feel which was in tune with the morally “edgy” act (of killing a stranger for the heart). The music that followed shortly after was very “hazy”, allowing me to almost “sway” in thought and suspicion as I followed to see what would happen next. The music then fell in line with the rhythm of the heart, and then ended softly. I would have wished that the ending beat ending on a higher pitch to signify a more “lively” conclusion, but overall great work!

5. Zhaolin (Jason) Tong

The video is very simple. The plot is very clear. I like it! The idea of life and death is displayed quite sci-fi like in the video. It’s interesting how the doctor showed such little regards for a fellow human being (Ahmed). Did the doctor have a connection to the patient? Or is it a random stranger? It’s quite ironic how the doctor would take a life to save a life. Overall, great job on the video and the music.

6. sabrina

Seeing an actual video of the same scenario you guys did in class was a lot better in my opinion because you added a lot more details which made the story a lot more full. The music was really beautiful and powerful too, it definitely added to the atmosphere and the acting. I really enjoyed watching this one.

7. matthewlam

The music really added another depth to the video in comparison to your performances in the class. It was super edgy and kept the video going a fast pace. There so many cool things you added to the video in terms of the production value. I found it ironic that the doctor killed the person for his heart when he should be the person that saves lives. Does it show how important life is? It was a well put together video, great jobs guys!

8. Stella Kang

I really liked how realistic your video became since we saw the scene in class. I think that the use of a gun was really powerful, and the sound of the heart beat was really loud. That conveyed feeling of survival, as if that heart beat were our own, and so when it stopped I actually felt a sense of nervousness. I also really liked the music. I think it added to the environment of the video, drawing different emotions when accompanied to various scenes. The prop use also made the video more realistic, thus more relatable, which I really enjoyed.

9. chynellemenezes

Great video on ethics! Life and death can be so complicated. How can you value one person’s life over another?
    Nice editing! I enjoyed your acting and use of scenery and music. Transferring the plot from a skit in class to a video worked out well!

10. emilyweiss

First of all, great choice of background music! Each piece corresponded so well with its matching scene and I thought that the songs added a lot of emotion to your video. Also, I like how you made the opening and ending scenes the same. It tied the whole story together and reminded us where this tragedy was taking place. I enjoyed your demonstration in class and it really resonated well through the camera. Also, good move using the knife to open Brandon’s clothing instead of unzipping it… I thought that was really clever (even though the zipper was funny, too)!

11. borysshturman

Great job guys! I loved how much effort you guys put into making this, with all the props and different scenes. But with all the props and new additions to your film, you always stayed true to your original theme, that survival is all that matters. The doctor had went out of his way, even taking the life of another, to save his patient. That brings up the idea of what is justified anymore. Can one justify taking a life to save another?

12. johncasella

The music really gave this video a creative edge. It allowed Chris’ emotions to become more palpable to the viewer as well as paralleling the mood of the scene. Along with the music, the sounds and sound effects stuck out to me. The beating heart and the car speeding off added to the video’s already excellent use of audience. Overall your message was very clear, and it was very easy to follow the storyline. Excellent job!